Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

How many miles is max on an LSD?...

7 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I am looking around for an LSD and most of the diffs I have found have from 100,000 to 125,000 miles on them. Is this typical? How many more miles can I reasonably expect out of one? Thank you!

Jason

Guest Anonymous

on mine, the oil was incredibly clean after 100,000 miles, like CRYSTAL clear, and i dont know that it had ever been changed, or at least not for a while. HTH!!!!!!!!!! -Reid

Guest Anonymous

You have to push the car fairly hard to break the wheels free from each other in a LSD rear end. I'd expect to have to rebuild an LSD regularly if your car is raced. Under normal driving, you are generally not applying enough torque through the corners to exceed the slip threshold, so the wear occurs at the tires more than at the LSD.

However, I've seen LSDs go with barely over 100k miles on them. It doesn't take much of an oil leak to kill the clutches. Definitely measure the breaking torque across the output shafts before buying one. Before I replaced the LSD on my wife's 318is, you could apply slight hand pressure to the rear tires and break the lock.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

400_installed_2_sm.jpg

URL: http://www.bmw2002faq.com/store/ramflo_weber.html

During an autocross, whn one wheel is of the ground and i need power all i hear is engine noise and what the rest of the people see is one wheel spinning in the air. May be i just need to get the lock up a bit hougher then 25%

steve