Sign in to follow this  
Nick

'72 Inka m20 project

23 posts / 5159 viewsLast Reply

Alright guys, there's been plenty of progress on this car in the past year, so I thought I would share the story. I originally acquired this car 5 years ago...it was my first BMW and started my infection with this chronic illness that we all have here. I drove this car through college, commuted everyday in it, hot summers with no A/C and cold rainy winters where the heater would barely start to get warm when you've already reached your destination. Once I was out of school and able to afford more toys, this car lead to me buying a 5 series, an m3, a bavaria, and another 2002, but thats another story all in itself. Anyway, despite having all these other toys, I always reverted back to driving the inka...why?...I don't really know, but it was just always the most satisfying car to drive for me, so I made the decision to cash out on everything else and focus on the one car that I always drove anyway!

I drove the car with a stock motor, weber 32/36, pertronix, IE header, and IE stage 2 springs, sways, and Bilstein sports. Some of you may remember it at the Socal meet when it looked like this:

post-973-1366760423399_thumb.jpg

I met Ed Groma a few years back one day, while I was picking up some parts at IE. His turbo flared red 2002 caught my eye and so I walked over to his shop to check it out. A week later, my car was there getting a roll bar put in. Little did I know that my car would end up there years later getting an m20 motor swap.

post-973-13667604235174_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604236118_thumb.jpg

post-973-1366760423712_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604238154_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604239228_thumb.jpg

After a few weeks of work at Groma, the motor was in with an e30 5 speed transmission, custom driveshaft, custom headers and exhaust system, IE coilovers in the front with the IE big break setup, all new steering components, urethane bushings, and topped off with a fiberglass hood to make up for some of the new motor weight. We also found that the front nose had been pushed in a bit from a hit in the past and never repaired right, so it was off to the body shop after the motor was in.

post-973-13667604240648_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604241734_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604242921_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604243942_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604245085_thumb.jpg

Before hitting the body shop, I took it home to do some stripping down myself. Removed all trim and glass. Uncovered some nice rust under the rear windows and some minor stuff in the floor pans. Nothing serious though. Grinded some of it out, planning to apply some of that POR15 and primer the whole floor before sending to the shop this week.

post-973-13667604246177_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604247316_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604248347_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604249484_thumb.jpg

post-973-13667604250482_thumb.jpg

What kind and size those wheels you have your car? They look great and the stance of your car is perfect.

Eric

PabloM got the wheels right on...they are enkei replicas. I got em from a friend who was running them on his e30.

thanks for the compliments guys, I do like my car nice and low! I can't really put a figure to the swap because things were bought and added here and there including the suspension, brakes, bushings, steering components. A rough ballpark estimate would be around 6-7k in parts and another 5k or so in labor. I'd have to go back to Ed and get all the figures together. It actually still has to go back to him after the body shop to finish some sheet metal work under the hood to cover the radiator, install the front sway, and work out some little electrical kinks.

Fogs are just the 5" Hella 500's. Actually picked em up at kragen or something like that.

Dang Nick...You forgot to mention your buddie Le has helped and also supplied a doner deuce for you to drive during this process. I am hurt.

lol

BTW Ed wants about 6k to do the swap and you have to bring the doner swap.