• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

driving lights & bulbs...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i don't think my 70/71 02 comes with a relay for the driving lights, thus its not bright. if so, how do i add in a relay for it? is there a lot of work for it?

also ive heard a lot of good stuff about philips blue vision light bulbs etc etc, can we use it in our 02's? what size bulbs are they? H4?

sorry for the many questions guys...

thanks...

Guest Anonymous

The stock alternator is marginal even without driving lights. If you're running headlights, heater fan, wipers, rear defrost (or not), that alternator is barely able to keep up. Throw in some high-watt H4 driving lights or upgraded headlights, and you'll be draining the battery.

That being said, I doubt that the lack of a relay would make the lights dim, unless your switch is corroded. The reason for using a relay is to avoid having big, bulky switch placed in a convenient location.

Myself, I go with standard ho-hum sealed beams. Then again, one of my other cars is 6-volt, so the 2002 looks positively modern by comparison.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Upgrading the alt is a GOOD thing to do. I used one off a 320i (with an internal regulator). As far as bulbs and the like- I have Cibie Z beam H4 (55/100) headlights and I95 Driving lights installed (the driving lights are on a relay)

Between the high beams (100w each) and the driving light (50w each)... I really appreciate the higher output of the 320i alt.

For lighting info, see the following

http://www.susquehanna.com/susq/index.htm

http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/

http://lighting.mbz.org/ (a real good basic site)

Have fun-

Kevin

Guest Anonymous

the size for it would be H4?

& if i upgrade to a larger alternator, my bulbs would be brighter?

some dumb questions..not really familiar with the american terms..

driving lights are the ones that are stock standard in a car right..not those hella lights that are bolted onto the bumper?

thanks

Guest Anonymous

so if i were to replace the stock light bulbs

the size for it would be H4?

__

+++The H4 is the bulb that goes into the rear of a 7" dia European style headlight. The whole reflector does not need to be replaced like a sealed beam unit, just the small bulb.

__

& if i upgrade to a larger alternator, my bulbs would be brighter?

__

+++Probably... good wiring and grounds make a big difference to.

__

some dumb questions..not really familiar with the american terms..

__

+++ No problem

___

driving lights are the ones that are stock standard in a car right..not those hella lights that are bolted onto the bumper?

__

++ No- "Driving" lights are seperate from the stock headlights. Mine are mounted to the supports behind the front bumpers. See http://photos.yahoo.com/lip277 for pictures of my car...

Let me know if you have more questions.

Kevin

thanks

Guest Anonymous

wallpaper.jpg

you want a warm tone to yer driving lights... you pick up movement and colors better/faster with warm/white light than in blue/white light. also yer eyes dont focus as well with blue light and it causes more glare for oncoming drivers or when yer driving in inclement weather. trendy is often wrong!!

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

H4 is a z shape cut led glass headlight that spreads the light beam across the road needed for the driver to see more of the road. They work great!!!!