Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

One more question re possible failing water pump.

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

I'm starting to think you all might be right and it's the water pump going bad that's causing the strange noise I'm hearing. The thing is I'm dead broke 'til the 15th. What do you think the odds are, if driven very conservatively (2 mi. each way to work and back) I can make it last 'til then? Did a search and came across an old post that suggested water pump failure might cause the fan to blast through the radiator. Sure as shit don't want that to happen!!! Sigh...

Guest Anonymous

I've seen waterpumps go catestrophically more than once. I've never seen them go so bad that it destroys the radiator, especially with a plastic fan. But I've been stranded by them. Best bet is to throw a used water pump in the trunk, along with a few gallons of water. If the used pump has at least a good bearing, then you will be able to limp it home after changing it, even if it leaks. Where are you located?

Mike

Guest Anonymous

sorry for the spelling.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I guess I'll just have to suck it up and get it fixed after work tomorrow. Super bummer!

Guest Anonymous

the alt. bearing is going. my alt bearing was squealing like a pig. needed new bearing. once repaired i had to tighten belt just right to keep it quiet.

you never mentioned that the pump was weeping, that is why i mention the alt bearing. food for thought. 71'02

Guest Anonymous

wallpaper.jpg

if time consuming. not really tho... could prolly finish in a couple of hours. very straightforward job. drain rad, remove, remove fan, hoses, pump. then spin the record backwards to put it back together... ;)

-Rob