• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got a question for those that have done a 5-speed conversion

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

dsc_016.jpg

Hey All,

I was wondering what u guys used for a trans. bracket?

I was also hoping someone here (besides Rob, and Tom) that has fabricated their own.

Not really into shelling out $100+ on a "prefabed" one.

Lyle in NC (broke ass fool, trying to "rig" his trans to the trans tunnel)

Guest Anonymous

How about trying the grease/hydrualic method. Basically fill the pilot hole with grease, put in a relatively tight fitting plug and hit it to push out the bearing. Been a while since i've seen this talked about, but it is not my idea.

Guest Anonymous

ran from the existing ears on the tunnel housing back to the center support bearing bracket--two pieces of angle iron, with a suitably shortened and re-drilled cross member positioned in the correct spot. Seems pretty simple--someone out there--does it work?

Mike

Guest Anonymous

therail-1.jpgsrc>

therail-2.jpgsrc>

therail-3.jpgsrc>

He told me he used 1" angle iron(sprayed so it don't rust), no sagging problems or anything!!!

I think I am going to try this method, looks easy, even for a dumba$$ like myself.

Lyle in NC getting ichy to work on the 2002 again!! (2 weeks till kick off time (part 2)

Guest Anonymous

BTDT - the living room still is a good place to pull motors though - just ask me.

Sears carries a two prong puller attachment that can be filed down so it fits nice.

Looks like the one that was borrowed.

Guest Anonymous

I did the same thing rob did. Used pieces of angle iron, worked great and is tough as hell. I will try to take pictures tomorrow with the digicam. seems to work well, although I havn't driven it yet!-Reid

Guest Anonymous

fd739367.jpg

To some it may seem simplistic, however, I have put about 2000 miles on the conversion and it has held up really well. The area that the angle bracket is mounted is very stout so there is no flex what so ever. Also, there is not a lot of weight placed on that mount due to the placement of the motor mounts relative to the weight distribution of the engine/transmission.

Pros:

-easy to install

-only two holes to drill in sheet metal as opposed to

four if you brace both sides

-leaves lots of room for shift platform reenforcement

-when mounted properly, leaves lots of room for height

adjustment using spacers

-utilizes stock 02 trans bushing

-cheap, cheap, cheap

cons:

-decidedly low-tech

-funny looks from sceptical 02ers

ps-if your car is on jack-stands, it is really hard to perfectly line up the driveshaft and tranny on the same plane. I thought I was right on until I baked my guibo. I got a look at it from under a car hoist and couldn't believe how far off I was. This is extremely critical that you carefully line this up so as not to fry the flex-coupling in very short order. Fortunately my mounting system allowed for a good range of adjustment and the problem was solved. Good luck.

Guest Anonymous

wallpaper.jpg

you can see how the center bearing is a little askew. the #1 thing i would do differently is to bang the REAR of the tunnel up and out near where the shift platform is. its a little too close and causes mad vibrations when it hits. other than that it works GREAT! its also stupid easy too, which is nice.

i just used a couple of big washers on top of the relocated-and-sized crossmember and then centered the thing in the tunnel. I turned the shaft by hand over and over again until i could not detect any flexing of the guibo whatsoever. i did this with the bolts out so i was actually checking for the absense of any gaps growing and receding as the guibo and driveshaft flanges turned through their rotations. I hope that makes sense. My brother in law works in a shop and i hope to take it over and put it in the air to inspect the guibo to see how it did on the road trip out here to alabama and all the subsequent abuse its recieved since ive been here... ;p

-Rob

-Rob