• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Now Recruiting Topic Editors!! =)

I dont have the time to go through threads in the Articles Construction Zone and figure out if any information is still needed in them, mostly because for most of them I am clueless about the information contained therein.

If YOU have been contributing to threads in the Articles Construction Zone (or otherwise know what you are talking about) and you think a thread is READY to be edited into an article, PLEASE post a link to it HERE:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,318223/

PICTURES COUNT!

I am also looking for people who would like to step up and "OWN" a particular topic, even be responsible for any one topic including tracking down information or pictures (including getting others to take pictures).

If you want to sign up to be a Topic Editor, for the lack of a better term, start by emailing me (click on button next to my name) and let me know what topic you want to sign up for. This is a list of the open topics in the Articles Construction Zone right now:

Wiper Linkage Refurbishment

Fuel Smell in Cabin

Addendum to Heater Box Refurbishment Article (will have to look at that one right away ;))

Antenna Replacement

Decal Placement

2002 Vs. Tii Vs. 320i front strut / Wheel Bearings & Brakes

14" Tire Size Choices

'02 Buyers Guide (two threads on this in the ACZ forum)

Fasteners

Guibo Failure

Early Half Shaft R&R

Clutch Bleeding the Pugh Way

Basic Squaretail Schematic

Diagnostic Plug Pin-Out

Rear Brakes

Rear Disk Brake Upgrade

Headlight Relays for Six-Fuse Cars

Motor Drop and Plant

Cylinder Head CCs Volumes, Pistons, Block and Compression Ratio

Windshield Install Made Easy

Rack and Pinion Conversion

Front Brake Caliper Rebuild

Solex 36/40 PSDI Instruction Sheet

ITB (or not ITB) Megasquirt Conversion

Weber Idle Jet Cleanout

Tii Fuel Delivery Checks

Tii Fuel Pump Options

Electrical System

Distributor Identification Chart

Suspension Rehab

Timing Cover and Oil Pan seals replacement

Emissions Diagrams

Hood Installation and Adjustment

Removing Rear Subframe and Trailing Arms Together

Sunroof Assembly and Installation

Mechanical Fuel Pumps

Exhaust Installation

Special Tools

Headliner Installation

Rear Side Window (1/4 light) Mouldings R&R

Quick Tool Tips

Tii Starting

Front Steering and Suspension R&R (maybe two topics?)

Front Subframe Motor Mount Repair

Tii Electromagnetic Clock Repair

Drip Rail (rain gutter) Moulding Install Made Easy

M20 Conversion

S14 Conversion

Crane Ignition Install

Five Speed Install magazine scan -- prolly cant use without permission

Installing a Multi-Piece Carpet Kit

Turbo Flares Install

M10 Engine Rebuild

Rear Suspension and Subframe/Diff R&R

Weber Downdraft Tuning

Dimensions and Capacities

etc... (the rest were just topic ideas i posted to get us started waybackwhen)

If you want to sign up for a topic, let me know and I'll put your name next to it on this list. It would probably make the most sense to have the original poster take "ownership" of whatever topic it might be, but not necessarily.

Remember this site is YOUR site. If it wasn't for the 02 community out there, we'd still have the original seven articles we started with. Probably not even those since we sucked most of that information out of various posts on you know where... ;)

STEP UP and be part of YOUR '02 FAQ! Help us help others keep these cars on the road! :)

• 3 years later...

Just today I saw this forum post and wanted to reply with an offer of help.

I just replaced my 1974 2002 rear brake system with new components, including a new handbrake cable, and documented it with about 20 good pics. I am a freelance photographer and writer, so maybe my skills can be of use in some way to help the site. I have 15 years experience in professional writing, and 25 years experience in professional photography. 6 yrs. experience in amateur 02ing.

In the test area forum, I was putting together a step-by-step how to on replacing the rear brake shoes without removing the rear hubs. I've got it down to a simple process, which I was starting to explain, but was then notified that I had reached the five photo maximum.

I would really like to complete the article, with all the photos and descriptions. I found that there was no single forum post that did a complete walk through, and the manuals each say different things--some of them say it is necessary to remove the rear hub, others say it is not necessary. Forum members here are somewhat split as well.

I feel that my article will make it a lot more simple for someone (especially a newbie) to go to one post to find all the info they need to change their rear brakes and parking brake cables. Plus, if it were featured on the tech articles page or something similar, it would be easily found.

I guess I could call myself a brake expert, and perhaps even for the front. Well, maybe not an expert, rather someone who is methodical, precise, and clear with descriptions and good at taking photos of the processes. I am, however, only familiar with stock brake installations on 02s. My next how-to could be on changing out the flexible hoses, installing a new caliper (as well as new pads) and a new disc and bearings for the front. This is something I need to do on my car, so why not give folks a little how-to?

I will also be painting racing stripes on my car at the end of the summer and could do a newbie how-to on that as well.

As you can see in the intro text of my test posting,as well as the text accompanying the photos, I try to keep it light, with a somewhat dry sense of humor, while still being accurate.

If you would rather me just do it as a regular rear brake how-to post, is there any way I can get around the five photo maximum?

I really would like to put my writing and photo skills at your disposal here at FAQ. I've gained so much here; I'd like to give back. In any way you need me, if my help is not needed in the area of articles. There are several things I will be doing to my car, and while I'm a decent all-around mechanic, I am learning for the first time each process on an 02. Because of this, I think my article, or articles, would be accessible to newbies without much mechanical skill. I taught basic grammar up to advanced technical writing on the college level for 15 years.

If you look at my test post, titled "Test of Brake Pics and Instructions," you can evaluate my claims. One thing, however. When I was attaching the pics, I was attaching them in reverse order. Accidentally, of course. So read steps one through four beginning at the bottom, after you have read the intro.

Thank you for your time and also thank you for building such a wonderful site. Please read through my test post and I will gladly accept any suggestions.

Jason Masters

post-139-1366766179901_thumb.jpg

post-139-13667661799925_thumb.jpg

post-139-13667661800802_thumb.jpg

"And The Dude abides"

74 2002 Inka (The Dude)

68 Zundapp ISDT Racer (original 350 miles)

87 BMW 735i (frozen motor)

79 VW Westphalia (for sale)

55 AJS 500cc Enduro Non-running Ekins bike

72 Yamaha XS2 (in many boxes)