Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

1600 Block

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Greetings,

I have a new project. '69 02 with a 1600. 2 wasted pistons. 18 head (1 chamber beat to shit). Bores, crank are great.I got a basket motor with 121 head and good pistons,crank etc but a bad block. You know what I'm going to ask. How far can i go with the smaller older block? I'm a speed/commuter nut that really needs to beat the hell out of punks in Honda's. By the way...the car itself sat for 17 years and is about as perfect as they come. Still has break in stickers on the windscreen. Any help will be really appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

Guest Anonymous

What crank do you have in the 1.6 block - 6 bolt or 8 bolt at the flywheel. 8 bolt is better for more robust clutches and future 5 speed swap. I don't know if the blocks are interchangeable between the two types of cranks. I'd think you could get a machine shop to bore it out to some kind of standard for the 2.0 liter pistons. Depends on whether you want to rebuild right it or just stick it all together and see what happens.

Guest Anonymous

Ive had much fun with the "see what happens" motors...and although I'm not opposed to playing with it,This one needs to be a somewhat reliable stomper. ..Digging in the Box-o-parts I have found that both cranks are 6 Bolt...hmmm... Is there piston sets to run the shorter stroke with the larger pistons while keeping the comp the same? (offset pins, longer rods etc = RPM heaven)

Guest Anonymous

your engine to an 1800 (2liter and 1.8 liter cranks are the same). You can't punch the block to fit 2l pistons.

Cheers!

john N

Guest Anonymous

you gain 1000 to 1500 rpm more with the destroked motor.

Guest Anonymous

Which head and pistons....and are parts available for replacement if (when) I grenade the poor little guy. Hmmm...Fun car + High RPM motor = damn I did it again (rebuild)....

Guest Anonymous

BMW made a 1.8L two different ways:

The first 1800 had the 84 mm bore (like a 1600) with the 80 mm crank (like a 2002).

The later 1.8L used the 89 mm bore with the 71 mm stroke.

The E21 318i (or USA 320 after 9/79) used a 71 mm crank, which has the 8 bolt flywheel & has 8 counterweights.

The early six-bolt 71 mm cranks were significantly lighter than the eight-bolt 71 mm versions, as they only had about half the counterwieghts (can't recall if it had 4 or 5).

So the six-bolt 71 mm can spin up quicker, but the eight-bolt 71 mm is more durable & easier to deal with.