Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

all this head business / e12 tii head for sale

6 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.motorspeedwest.com/index.htm

OK, here is my situation on all this head rebuild stuff. I can relate to the "get what you pay for attitude" to a certain extent. surely dan and I did attempt to use kris for head rebuild options in an attempt to save $. but the time and $ I lost might have well been flushed down the toilet at this point.

I shipped kris a head off of a tii that had run perfectly but did puff smoke badly. a few weeks later he informed me that he'd found a crack in the head. he offered that for $100 more he had a "good" core.

you can accuse me of being frugal but not cheap. I I did not haggle or hesitate at all, I immediately agreed to buy his "good" core. I took him for his word.

few more weeks passed and the head arrived at my mechanic; motorspeedwest in santa clara. they followed kris' instructions for install to every detail etc. they are a bmw specialty shop that works on tii, coupes up to the newer bmw and this is a routine task for them.

first, they called me and said that there was a valve that was not returning. it seemed to be running on 3 sylinders only. they went to adjust the valves and found one was stuck open. it was tapped w/ a screwdriver and it snapped shut.

they then suggested I call the machine shop where I got the head and ask if they had "lapped the valves". they also suggested that the sticky valve might start working correctly if the car were driven a bit (they told me this was a long shot). so I drove into the valley and took the car to lunch. the car ran hot when going up hill. it drove pretty nicely for 3 cylinders though. I left the car at MSW, still hoping it was going to start working correctly.

they called me the next morning to say that there was excessive moisture inside the valve cover. before isntallation of the head they had removed the pistons etc. they said there was littel chance that the moisture was there before. they told me the head was no good. they told me the machine shop needed to supply a good head and should reimburse them for their labor to swap the bad head for the good head. I told them I didn't think there was any chance of the labor reimbursement.

I sent kris an email relaying the info from MSW. I gave him their phone numbers etc. I didn't even ask for a refund at that point. but as the weeks went by and none of my emails received a reply, it was obvious I was on my own.

I took one of my other tii e12 heads and had it repaired locally. MSW took pitty on me and they did the head swp free of charge. the car now runs like a top! MSW showed me where the head I got from Kris had a crack repaired. they suggested that the head might be good after the crack repair was properly repaired. also, the #3 combustion area was black and the spark plug was charred.

I have made many polite and courteous attempts to reach kris regarding this head. my wife is an lawyer and she even sent registered mail that received no responce. we have the head in a box and he is welcome to give us a good head for the $250 we paid or simply refund us the $ and we'll gladly give him his head back.

did we get what we paid for? I'd have to say no. we paid $250 (not counting the $70 in shipping) for a head that he said was good, it's a paperweight. maybe kris can further repair the head and resell it? maybe he could give us a good head in return? I don't know, he does not reply.

get what we paid for? well it took about a month of waiting, much stress, and MSW had to donate about $500 of labor.

anybody want to buy this head? I'll sell it for $250 and I'll pay the $35 shipping! it's a 72 casting e12 tii head. looks great and 3 of the 4 combustion chambers seem to work great.

BTW, I'd be tickled if JFahuna could fix this head for $250. but the head is in a box until we resolve the legal issue w/ kris and rebuiltdiesel.com. I am once again in need of a good e12 head. Kris if you read this, I'd gladly return this head for a rebuilt head that works. but as I've said, he has not addressed the issue.

el, I'm glad you got some good computer stuff and parts you can use. I also assumed that kris did not intentionally send us a bad head. but we have a useless head and he seems to care little. and I believe he did offer Dan a refund at one time. we didn't even get an offer. I feel that we are paying for kris' learning curve or like you said, he does not have all the necessary equiptment to test the heads. but we paid him money for a head that he said was good. I held my end of the bargain, where is my $ now?

Guest Anonymous

Learning curve, indeed! The problems with the head were only a little angering. The great lengths Kris has gone to to avoid communicating with us and giving refunds, that is inexcusable. El, I can understand your sentiment, I too thought Kris was a swell guy until this all happened. As for my "talking shit," well since when is the saying the truth talking shit? Perhaps that's an irrelevant semantical argument....anyway, as I recall, anything negative I said about Kris in chat was after I patiently waited weeks and weeks for a refund. And when I do get the refund, it is short, with (true to form) no explanation. I see this as a final affront and I've had enough of this BS. And what about Paul, who has got absolutely nothing? Do you expect me to sit by idly while Kris still posts here? C'mon Kris, I know you said you woulnd't post anything more in response to me, but how about in response to Paul? Can he, as you so eloquently told me, "eat shit and die" too, in your mind? And finally El, there is an important difference between my "sub-par" engine overhaul(an opinion I take issue with BTW) and Kris' head work - my engine worked, worked well, and should continue to do so in the future!

Guest Anonymous

paypal id is paul@schusterphoto.com