• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Verona Sunroof 2002 by Eurotrash

eurotrash

Guys, this is stupid easy. I read the article ( http://www.bayarea02.com/techtips/320_wheel/index.html )and was nervous about it. No, seriously. Its easy. And should be the same process for any year car that has the stamped steel turn signal cancellation tab. I believe that would be ALL years..

I would have taken more photos, but it went so fast that I didn't think to.

IMG_0607.jpg

1. On the new wheel. Gently removed the horn/signal cancellation ring via the three mounting holes on the wheel side of the hub. (See above picture) This takes the longest, if you care to save the item for reuse later. It requires 4 hands, a pair of needle nose vise grips, a flat head screw driver and some patience. If you don't care to save this, whack off the locking..nubs (?) on the wheel side of the hub and discard.

2. Snag the old horn plunger from the stock wheel. Extend the wire a touch with a piece from the original horn mini-harness with a spade on it. Put a few layers of electrical tape around the plunger and back it into one of the three holes from the original horn/sig ring.

3. Position the stock stamped steel signal cancellation piece centered on the switch in the column. Explore, you'll get it.

4. Make a spacer to bring the wheel out 1/8" so the cover will clear the column pads and bolt it on!

IMG_3352.jpg

IMG_3353.jpg

Not hard at all. And its a huuuuuge difference both for looks and handling. It minimizes the perceived slop at the wheel.. I love it.

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

• 3 weeks later...

Went for it. Started at 8am and finished at 1pm. As usual, not as bad as it seems when studying up on the process. -amazingly simple really.

photo-1.jpg

Basic tools.

Drill w/ 1/8 bit

Phillips screw driver

10mm socket and wrench

13 or 14 mm socket

22mm socket

Tin Snips

Piece of card board.

Five old body screws

FRONT:

Remove the battery to get to the left side shock bolt.

Disconnect the accordions at the bumper via 2 each 10mm bolts.

Remove 22mm shock bolts.

Pull bumper off.

Lay bumper on its bottom, punch drill bit through card board to prevent getting squirted in the face by pressurized goo. Drill shock tubes and compress. Remove the shocks from the bumper w/ 13 or 14mm socket. I can't recall which..

Remove the shock covers from the body and trim approx. 1.5" off of the front with tin snips, and notch out the center for clearing the head of the shock t- bumper bolt.

Slip compressed bumper shocks into place. Hold covers up to body/shocks and eyeball a cut around the mounting bolt heads.

Remove shocks.

Reinstall covers.

Reinstall shocks onto bumper.

Remount bumper and just flex the accordions out to get bumper in to align the 22mm bolt holes and install bolts.

Align bumper. Compress as needed. -make measurements, whatever.

Drill up into the shocks through both layers and drive in an old body screw. Tighten until the head twists off so the rubber sleeve can cover.

Cut accordion ends at the bumper in the first valley and reinstall onto bumper ends.

Eyeball and trim accordions in the first valley that overlaps the end cap.

Use a nice new tube of black silicon with new tip for control and gingerly fill the gaps in your cuts.

BACK:

Its the same basic process with the obvious deletions, and a few additions.

No need to remove the shocks.

Trim the points off of the rubber filler shelf.

If you have been holding out. I suggest you go for it. Nerd factor is reduced by 75% for free..

IMG_3872.jpg

IMG_3879.jpg

IMG_3877.jpg

IMG_3878.jpg

IMG_3874.jpg

IMG_3880.jpg

IMG_3875.jpg

IMG_3882.jpg

Much Better. These photos are pre-silicon so you know..

Still some heavy parts though. If you suffer at all from upper body atrophy, you will feel the days work. A great argument for the early rear bumper and front air dam move..

• Like 1

(O=o00o=O)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, thanks to some wheelin' -N- dealin' with Brad T some Eibachs came in the mail this week and yesterday was "Stop, Drop, and Roll" day for myself, my friend Mike, and my son Henry.

e3dc1e0f.jpg

Yeah.. He's 2.

FirstGoodBath.jpg

A before picture, for reference..

IMG_4081.jpg

Front before..

IMG_4080.jpg

Rear before..

IMG_4084.jpg

Fun 10mm wide angle shot.

IMG_4090.jpg

Stock.

IMG_4092.jpg

Ohhhh Yeahhh.

IMG_4096.jpg

If you have replacement bolt in ball joints, this is the way to go.

3 Strut bearing bolts under the hood, the strut nut, 3 ball joint bolts, Steering linkage, 2 caliper bolts, and 1 bolt brake line support and its on the ground.

1aa4b9a4.jpg

And a crappy 'after' picture from my cell this morning..Doesn't really do it justice... more later

IMG_4106.jpg

In the back, I initially removed the bottom pad and used tubing, but I didn't like the look, too low compared tot he front.. So we popped the bottom pad back in. The front has very thin pads, and I wish I could have gotten 1/2 more drop there. But over all, its better than before!

IMG_4110.jpg

Totally pleased with the results. Huge gains on the performance level so far, the firmer springs are a very nice addition.. I could go for a lower stance even yet. But it looks much more put together. IE sway bars next...

(O=o00o=O)

what is the lock cylinder protruding below the drivers side rear running light locking?

Car looks good so far, I wish I could hammer stuff out that fast with mine. I've got such a back log of stuff to do 5spd, LSD, rear disc conversion, euro signals, pass side mirror, door panel backs, 635csi rear seat, spare gas tank to seal and install, defrost rear windshield, console to finish, all just sitting in the garage.

what is the lock cylinder protruding below the drivers side rear running light locking?

Car looks good so far, I wish I could hammer stuff out that fast with mine. I've got such a back log of stuff to do 5spd, LSD, rear disc conversion, euro signals, pass side mirror, door panel backs, 635csi rear seat, spare gas tank to seal and install, defrost rear windshield, console to finish, all just sitting in the garage.

Oh, I have a back log myself. Believe me.. But I like to start small to build momentum. I have that 5 speed waiting etc, etc. Just start small..

--That tumbler is from an old security system.

(O=o00o=O)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice combo!

For tire newbies:

Note the yellow "dot" on the tire sidewall. That specifies the high point of radial runout. This dot should be matched to the wheel's low point of radial runout during mounting (the wheel should also have a mark). It doesn't indicate where the valve stem should be oriented.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"