• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1975 Verona Sunroof 2002 by Eurotrash

eurotrash

Well well well.  The Verona is coming back.  Don't shoot your eye out with that thing.  You probably almost doubled your horsepower.  Shiny side up!!

Well done and glad it's coming back together.  

You are going to have to show me all that electronical gear.  It's the car version of a hybrid guitar amp - some tubes and some digital.

Scott

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

• 2 weeks later...

Ha.  Just found this on ebay.  Someone really needs to make this again, but in stainless.  It looks to be exactly what we all need.  2" ID even..     and for under 33$ shipped! 

I will use it someday when my v1 IE kit stops accepting new welds.

5/22/14 Update:

This ended up under our 'new' 1964 Falcon Travel Wagon.  It was perfect for it.. 

ED5DB690-FBE2-4E47-9C1D-AAA138B79370.jpg

51B36371-0294-4B44-81B2-F05D5AF008D1.jpg

post-34909-0-72013400-1386779296_thumb.j

post-34909-0-27534900-1386779303_thumb.j

Edited by eurotrash

2002 newbie, and dead serious about it.
(O=o00o=O)
Smart Audio Products for your 2002

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, the motor is in and running well.  Tuning forthcoming, (fk you, winter)...  Here is the photo story on the build process..

http://s283.photobucket.com/user/jasongipson/story/11913

Again....

Engine build details:

Original M10 2.0L motor from my car.

IE 90mm 9.5 cast piano top pistons (Buy forged, save labor $ in making them good)

Deves rings

Piston Assemblies lightened and balanced to within .5 gram.

Rod big ends balanced to within .5 gram

Piston/Rod assemblies balanced to within .5 gram, 1,253.0 gram average per assembly.

Crank balanced to "Pro-Stock" spec, what ever that is...

Cleaned and spec'd Febi oil pump

Tii oil filter adapter, in the case I want an oil temp reading at some point in the future.

Original e12 head.

Thickness within spec.

1mm oversize IE SS intake/exhaust valves, faced as needed..which was ALL of them.

4 angle valve job

IE new style guides reamed to fit the valves.  The corresponding seals

IE HD rockers, over sized eccentrics, and HD single coil springs. 80 lbs

Stock retainers/locks (lighter)

IE 292 regrind cam

IE adjustable cam gear, set to full retard (that's right)

Tii waterneck for to run the stock temp gauge, and a VDO gauge in the console. (alumablasted)

Oil pressure splitter for stock idiot light and mechanical VDO gauge in the console.

Tii valve cover for the spiritual HP. And, well, I like small nipples. (not pictured)  (alumablasted)

Dellorto 40DHLA-H Fully rejetted at this point.. on an IE manifold (alumablasted), with top mount linkage (completely cuctomized at this point).

Stahl 1.5" primary long tube header to IE SS exhaust.

Korman baffled pan, subframe clearance'd for the drain plug..

Tuning aids:

Carbtune II Pro for syncing.

123Ignition Distributor "Tune" version with 008 and 033 curves programmed in and switchable.

Wideband.com wideband 02 sensor kit for jetting.

Edited by eurotrash

(O=o00o=O)

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

So some developments.

The power fall off from a rich condition wasn't the fault of the carbs. It was lack of advance. I programmed in 38 degrees max and problem solved. AFR fluctuates between 12.5 and 14. I'm going to leave the jetting and air correction alone for now.

The next challenge I see in dialing in the dellortos is the accelerator pump synchronization. They are adjustable via a threaded rod and nut that passes through the pump arm. This adjustment determines the duration of the pump stroke and that determines the volume of fuel delivered. On top of this adjustment, the accelerator pumps can be re jetted.
Making the pumps tunable for any displacement the carbs are fitted to.
The first step, in my mind, is to know exactly how much fuel my carbs are squirting now. And if they are even balanced per carb. (Jetting can be used to dial in the throats). At rebuild, I had set them to the same threads on the rod..  But I got these handy dandy apparatus for my b-day for being 100% sure, and these are my initial findings.

Front carb.  Pump the throttle to prime the device, pour off any fuel in the tube.  Pump 20 times.  Quick full stroke.

23BDF67D-569A-4108-BE5E-1A8B874DF39B.jpg

Single pump after.  Just out of curiosity..

55669422-E863-40DC-872B-3A778B9DDB48.jpg

Rear carb:

F190A5E6-1BEB-4078-B13F-ACEBCA97FC69.jpg

Interesting and alarming, all at once.  This device is super cool.  Now if i could just find my 6mm deep well so I could do something about it!

Edited by eurotrash

(O=o00o=O)

• 8 months later...

Hey all.  Not much has happened since the tuning of the Dellortos..  

08486317-36bc-46f8-bff0-4e3c39cfe214.jpg

Well, this happened..sounds amazing.  Still working on the hat tray base. Dammit. But even without it, the sound is amazingly clean and accurate. And I don't even have a head unit in the car. so I can't imagine what could be done with one in the mix..

9f36cb50-befb-46cd-af37-7163f8cc9079.jpg

EBC01BAF-235A-4A89-BA40-079D2849F46C.jpg

I pulled out the mirror and went with the dash pod installation, for the AFM display. While the mirror was slick, I couldn't reference it at a glance.

D7AA1695-6982-4645-8840-83ED5795491D.jpg

I pulled the spent first gen IE exhaust for a nice used Ansa sport thing.  Adapted the hangers for square tail and away we go.  Lost a little power a the dyno, so I may go back to a new stainless kit at a later date. 

202839D4-1267-4D52-9C4B-E4DB7B022777.jpg

We had our annual ridge run in the Fall, it was really relaxing and great to see everyone..

71FE0C75-6641-4E0B-9C2C-5820B9F2A9BE.jpg

Hope you're all surviving the winter months ok.. ;)  Until spring.  Have a good one!

9A42E14C-6CA4-4CD3-AAA3-400DC1DD469D.jpg

(O=o00o=O)