Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Turboconverting an 2002 Tii

10 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

Hi, im planning on conveting an tii for turbo and i hvae some questions!

1. Is there any company that makes exhaust mainfolds for turbo or are there any from other cars that fit?

2. What cylinder head and cam should you use? Is the stock working with turbo?

3. I was planning on buying an aftermarket injection like Haltech but they are very expensive. How much performance can i get from a Weber 45? Should i use the stock intake maifold with one carburator or ??

Or if i choose injetion is there any you can recommend .. what i've heard the kugelfischer aint that good..

Would be great if you could help me! Mail me or answer right here.. Regards Gustaf

Guest Anonymous

The KFish is great for a stock setup, but is hard to modify.

For a turbo, start with a low-compression motor. Something like flattop pistons with an E12 head.

I don't know of any readymade turbo exhaust manifolds. People who have done the 2002 turbo conversion generally fabricate something. Useful parts sources are turbo Volvos, Fords, Saabs, and Chrysler KCar variants.

Carburetted turbo systems _can_ work, but EFI is much better. Consider the injection system from an E30 318i.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

I've been doing a lot of research, planning and thinkin about doing a turbo. The good news is that the state of the art has progressed enormously since the BMW 2002 Turbo.

First off, forget about the K-Fish pump. It's a superb piece of engineering, but you can't modify the fuel delivery curve. Count on going to EFI. There are multiple vendors selling EFI brains, I'm using a DIY one called MegaSquirt (groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt).

Use a 318 mainfold, go to bigger injectors, replace the throttle body. If you're being thorough, have the 318 intake manifold Extrude Hone'd out to flow more air.

Exhaust manifolds are available through Car Tech (http://www.cartech.net/exhaustparts.htm).

Modern turbo systems can use 'normal' compression pistons. I'm planning on using 9.5:1's and just running a little less boost.

A stock cam (264) is your best choice.

Finally, get a copy of "Maximum Boost" by Corkey Bell.

Cheers!!

John N

Guest Anonymous

URL: http://www.bmw2002turbo.nl/2002_TURBO_PARTS/2002_turbo_parts.html

the factory kugelfisher turbo injection pump is still available... they are just $$$$$$$$$. The factory exhaust manifold is what I am probably going to use, because i like how compact it is. I will prolly just get a used one (they are $350 at the linked site^^^) and have it extrude honed and ceramic coated.

As for fuel injection, i will probably end up using the DIY megasquirt also. That leaves the ignition, and im not sure about that. thats one thing that leans me towards a combination fuel/spark computer like SDS or Wolf.

DEFINITELY BUY AND READ THIS BOOK--Maximum Boost by Corky Bell!!!!!!

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

What flange does the factory manifold use? I like the way it looks, but i really need to run a T3.

Join the Megasquirt users group on Yahoo. There are two ignition systems being developed to work along with it, both using cranktriggers and coil per cylinders or wasted spark coils. I'm using the 318i ignition at first, and when i get the turbo tuned, i'll upgrade to a MSD 6BTM for boost compensation.

Matt Barnard

Guest Anonymous

www.thedouginator.com I have done the same thing as he has done. Works great, very powerfull. Took a while and some money, but it was worth it. His documentation is great. i have some pictures of specific things as well. I used Ford eec-iv ford injection with a homemade manifold out of a tii model and a garrett t3. -Reid

Guest Anonymous

an ignition control system called MegaJolt. (I really don't like their naming scheme). Anyway they're talking about some PFM stuff where the ignition control computer measures the ionization in the combustion chamber and uses that to determine how far to advance/retard the spark. Apparently the point of ionization is an excellent indication of when you're getting pre-ignition (aka knock).

Magical magical stuff, if done properly you would be able to run the 'perfect' amount of advance all the time (perfect = just short of pre-ignition).

For starters, I'm sticking with my stock ignition, I'll keep the boost relatively low and make sure I'm running really rich under boost to help keep things nice and cool.

You should also check out the DIY WB-O2 project stuff. A narrow band (2,3,4-wire) O2 sensor isn't accurate enough out of a very narrow band to allow you to tune. Going lean under boost is a guaranteed way of turning you pretty engine into melted slag.

Cheers!!

John N

Guest Anonymous

havent heard from him in a while... prolly busy (hic!) with school.. ;p

-Rob

Guest Anonymous

i guess he hasnt had time to do much lately. car needs a fuel pump last i heard. He seems to have kind of lost interest in it! i'll take it.......lol