Sign in to follow this  
Guest Anonymous

Ahhhh! Oil in water!

9 posts in this topic Last Reply

Guest Anonymous

OK...

I took apart my engine to replace the valve seals and install my schrick cam. After putting the engine back together, the car got really hot. I found oil in the water and water in the oil. I knew that I didn't recheck the head bolts torque after the first drive. So I replaced the head gasket yesterday. Today there is more oil in the water and water in the oil. When the head was off I visually inspected for cracks or signs of cracking. I didn't see anything.

What are the possible places for oil to leak into the water?

What could be the problem?

Guest Anonymous

Did you replace the head bolts with new ones? I think you have to get new ones everytime you take the head off.. they were designed to be used once and once only. I may be wrong though, so hopfully others will try to help too.

Guest Anonymous

Although it's good practice to replace the original ones over the years it's not mandatory. If you're getting oil in the water and water in the oil that's a bad sign. Is it pressurizing the cooling system? AKA if you take the radiator cap off and run it do you get bubbles in the radiator. You are torquing the head bolts down in proper order arn't you? Going middle out.. You will need another head gasket again. I know it sucks. is it sending out greywhite smoke? aka burning coolant/water. smell sweet? When you take the head off the block you should be carefull not to damage the head gasket so you can analyze where the coolant is getting into the system. If you have a machinists level. Set it across the block and head and see if you can slide a feeler gauge under it. A good machinists level should reveal if anything is warped.

Kris

Guest Anonymous

It is not pressurizing the coolant. I did torque everything properly. I can't find any cracks in the head by visual inspection. The head gasket doesn't help any either... I also checked for level.. NO problems found.

Guest Anonymous

So you're not pressurizing the cooling system. got water in the oil and oil in the water. I hate to say it man but it sounds like a cracked block. The only thing I can think of that would cause it is if oil was in the head bolt holes when you re installed the bolts. At this point I would recomend handing it over to a mechanic. If you cracked your head then you'd have water in the cylinders and a pressurized cooling system. That wouldn't allow the oil in the water that you note. Possible sealing issues from head gasket but I doubt it. You could have just lets some water fall into the blocks oil passages when you removed the head and vice versa and that's the residual. Like what happens if you don't drain everything before you remove the head. Anyone else can jump in on this if they want because I'm about at the end of my leash on experience with this one. Sure you didn't have any gaps in the rings of the head gasket or burn marks on the head gasket. Usually you can see if you look close where everything was. Any distortions that don't look like a proper seal will give you good lead. If you want to make sure everything seals on the head get a can of coppercoat and use it with a normal headgasket. It's extra insurance against a leak. Normally we'd only use that on a high compression race motor though. Anyone wanna jump in?

Kris

Guest Anonymous

are you are using the same washers on the head bolts that came off, thay are special hardened washers, if so the only thing else that I can think of is to make sure the aligning collars around the 2 bolt holes are set correctly into the block recesses and not cocked or have and burrs or distortion to them if not and you have the bolt holes clean and dry you gotta have a crack or a untrue surface somewhere.....Marty....

Guest Anonymous

crack_head1.jpg

Kris said:

"If you cracked your head then you'd have water in the cylinders and a pressurized cooling system. That wouldn't allow the oil in the water that you note."

That is not true, that assumes cylinder head cracks only occur in the combustion chamber.

Here's a pic of a six cyl head that leaked coolant into the oil. The leak was located with a pressure check (note the area circled with a marking pen). Coolant leaking from this spot fell down into the oil sump, nothing went direct into the cylinder, and the cooling system did not get pressurized. This head was replaced with a new casting & all new valvetrain, as the owner tracked the car pretty hard and was looking for durability.

Guest Anonymous

Check the cyl head water passages that are directly over the exhaust ports (head off, of course). I had a water loss problem and found the passages had eroded into the combustion chamber--inadvertent water injection! But on second thought, it would be hard for that water to get into the oil. But check 'em anyway...compare with head gasket to see if they're getting close to breaking into the combustion chamber.

Cheers and good luck

Mike