• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Solving Exhaust Manifold Myths - RHD Vs. LHD

felix_666

Yes i have searched, but want to clarify some things.

For the uneducated, RHD cars have the problem of having a steering box in the space of where headers could go.

I would like to buy something better than stock manifold but not proper headers (even if gains are minimal because I'm at that compulsive point of replacing shit i don't need at all just for the sake of spending money on the car.... you know what i mean) and have started by comparing part numbers, this is what i have found about exhaust manifolds:

All except the Ti are based on a 02/73.

Regular 02's

Euro - RHD Manual - 11621265449

Euro - LHD Manual - 11621265449

U.S. - LHD Manual - 11621256211

Ti - 02/72

Tii

Euro - RHD Manual - 11621251037 (anyone know why this is different??)

U.S. - LHD Manual - 11621265449

From this it appears that they used the Tii manifold from LHD cars for the regular RHD 02's, and a different manifold for the RHD Tii's.

This explains why everyone says the regular RHD manifold flows well.

But my question to others is:

This must mean i can use the 02again replacement manifold which i hear nothing but good things about.

And maybe even the IE shorty headers (i will ask IE more info about these in terms of space)??

Your educated thoughts please.

Cheers.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

1973 RHD Verona - Project

1974 RHD chamonix - Towed 

Manifold 11 62 1 251 037 was used on all RHD 2002s (manual/auto/tii) but is now NLA and has been supeceeded by 11 62 1 265 449 which seems to be used on all LHD & RHD 2002s now. I do not know what was "special" about this manifold.

So, probably, you could use the 02again manifold, but would still need the RHD downpipe, or a custom downpipe/header like Jaymic makes (or used to make?) to avoid the RHD steering box/linkage.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

I'm confused as to what your saying Tom, all the numbers were the same on different manifolds, like normal and Tii??

Felix, Tom's car 'Whitey' is a Tii and has the same exhaust mani as my regular 02 (both cars are round lights) - that is looking at the numbers cast on the mani.

I did say 'they didnt fit the Tii mani on RHD cars' but that was a quote out of the Mike McCartney book. I never looked up the numbers - great news if that is true. beaner7102

1971 - 2002 RHD VIN 1653940. Agave (stock with Pertronix & 32/36 Weber) - "Cactus"

1972 - 1602 RHD VIN 1554408. Fjord (with 2L motor, 5spd & LSD - Weber 40/40 to come) - "Bluey"

1984 - E30 318i VIN WBAAK320208722176 - stock daily driver

Ok i see what your saying.

The reason I'm asking is because im not around my car and cannot look at the actual manifolds myself.

I can't remember but i feel like the manifold looked a lot more like the Tii one on this webpage, can anyone confirm for RHD cars? I just remember the first runner being an odd shape:

http://www.my2002tii.com/oct_2001.htm

But in terms of my original question do you think the LHD manifolds should fit? It makes sense to me logically due to the part numbers now and the fact they are manifolds not headers which obviously take up a lot less space.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

But in terms of my original question do you think the LHD manifolds should fit? It makes sense to me logically due to the part numbers now and the fact they are manifolds not headers which obviously take up a lot less space.

As the part # (11 62 1 265 449) for both LHD & RHD 2002 (2lts mtrs) is now the same, the answer must be yes.

Up to sometime in '73 (late?) all RHD 2002s sported the same exhaust manifold (11 62 1 251 037). Probably it's main difference from the one available now will be the lack of tapped holes for emission thingies required in the US.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

As the part # (11 62 1 265 449) for both LHD & RHD 2002 (2lts mtrs) is now the same, the answer must be yes.

Up to sometime in '73 (late?) all RHD 2002s sported the same exhaust manifold (11 62 1 251 037). Probably it's main difference from the one available now will be the lack of tapped holes for emission thingies required in the US.

This makes a lot of sense to me and is the answer i wanted to hear.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

I thought about this too as i want to get my hands on an 02again manifold but wasn't sure if it would clear the steering box. They look really nice but every time i look at a picture i convince myself either way.

Has no one done it?

At this point i cannot see any reason why this wouldn't work (02again).

But i am looking at a couple of others, the IE shorty header and a manifold made here in Germany.

1972 RHD Auto - Sold

• 11 years later...

Coming in hot with the 12-year bump. I too, am curious if this manifold from my RHD Touring is the same as a ‘tii’ manifold and if anyone confirmed an 02again manifold fitment. I’m building a semi-hot motor and with the lack of decent header options out there trying to figure out what the best approach is. Not trying to melt any steering couplers every other month with the spaghetti banana style. Seems popular on the UK forum. The part number casting on my manifold does not match any of the above listed numbers. It reads (11 62) 1 251 039  

Note the hole near the #4 outlet where the pipes turn down. Seems unique? 

IE shorty’s won’t work. 02again seems ideal. 

DA6D65C1-7D81-4CDD-A011-D9B0CD044ABC.jpeg

65F49C92-AF99-4024-A4F5-A3BDC71BE907.jpeg

F2A81E21-2E9F-4305-9195-A9F5EE0613C3.jpeg

3A7A0711-4FA8-4C19-9D34-20847FBD6118.jpeg

E1BD64C3-93FD-495E-A422-9E318E7E1F3E.jpeg

2F1DC4B2-5437-4A74-8A59-F609FD09A77A.jpeg

1973 2002 Touring + Alpina A4  /  RHD 

in my experience all RHD 02 manifolds are essentially the same, and not interchangeable with any LHD manifolds. At a glance they look the same, but the exit points more towards the inner wing so the down pipe will clear the steering column, so I would hazard a guess that any of the shorty manifold replacements available in the states for LHD cars wouldn't work with the RHD car.

James at JFI in Wales has a 4 branch option for a RHD car: http://www.jficlassiccars.co.uk/PerformancePartsSpares/

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

To answer the second question, from close visual inspection RHD manifolds will flow exactly as per the Tii LHD manifold.

I thought the desire for a LHD Tii manifold stemmed from the US getting a rubbish standard version due to emissions. Rest of the World got the same "Tii" manifold regardless of engine spec.

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg