• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Questions regarding wheel rubbing fixes

Grover

I currently run 205/50/15's on the street with minimal (but not zero) issues. The one issue I have is that under hard cornering the shoulder of the wheel can rub the inner wheel well, essentially toward the firewall. I'm wondering if it is possible to "reshape" this section of the wheel well similar to how you do it to make a 5-speed fit into the stock tranny tunnel. Basically, some modest hammering. Has anybody done this successfully?

Secondly, I have a set of wheels that I want to run with track tires, but the offset is ET20. While these MIGHT fit with 205's, I think it will be very close to rubbing on the fender lips (which have already been rolled.) Is it possible to have wheels re-machined on the hub mating surface to adjust offset by 5mm or so? If so, anybody know a shop in the SF Bay Area that does this? I'm not opposed to running 195/50/15's on these wheels, but am not finding a great selection of track tires in this size, much more selection in 205s.

Nobody is going to machine your wheels for liability reasons.

Before you do anything else, take a close look at the clearance between the tire and the strut. You may be closer than you think.

I am running 195/50/15's with 25mm offset on 7 inch rims and the tire is .20 inches (5mm) away from the strut. That's probably as close as you want to get. You might consider flaring the fenders.

No amount of skill or education will ever replace dumb luck
1971 2002 (much modified rocket),  1987 635CSI (beauty),  

2000 323i,  1996 Silverado Pickup (very useful)

Too many cars.

I currently run 205/50/15's on the street with minimal (but not zero) issues. The one issue I have is that under hard cornering the shoulder of the wheel can rub the inner wheel well, essentially toward the firewall. I'm wondering if it is possible to "reshape" this section of the wheel well similar to how you do it to make a 5-speed fit into the stock tranny tunnel. Basically, some modest hammering. Has anybody done this successfully?

Yes, its easy. A couple whacks with a small sledge.

I don't know why more people don't do that. It's easy as can be. Who wants to spend a crapload of money on different wheels/tires, when about 5 minutes work will take care of it?

I just did it for the purpose of using my friends 205-50-15s for one day.

Even if its on a show quality car, its not like its in a visible area.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Well, actually...

there is some room to be gained with a bit of metal massaging.

However, once you start rubbing on the outer edge of that panel,

you're into the structure of the shell. I cut up a racing shell

that had been extensively cut to run 23x9 15's, and they managed

to do some real structural damage to the car without actually getting the

tires to fit.

That said, I bet an evening with a dead- blow hammer (a big one- the bigger

the better, honestly, until you can't even lift it) would get you enough

clearance for 205's and make you absolutely filthy.

Let us know how it goes!

t

ps, I stole this pic from GT3Car's blog-

this is the sort of mod you shouldn't do

if your car doesn't have a roll cage to reinforce this area...

post-611-13667598468021_thumb.jpg

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

you said you've already rolled the fenders so there isn't much to gain with a hammer without messing up the fenders. you have 2 options. first is to just cut out the inner lip if you only need a little more clearance. second you can rent a fender roller tool and actually pull the fenders out to give them a small flare to allow you to run without rubbing.