• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1976 02:Very hard starting. engine turns slowly.

ramayah

I have a difficult time starting the motor. The engine turns slowly like on a dying battery. But the battery is fully charged. After many tries, it eventually will start slowly but gradually picks up speed. After driving a few blocks and turning the engine off, and immediately trying to start it again, I have the same hard-start problem.

I observed something strange. While the engine is turning it wouldn't fire, but as soon as I release the ignition key it will fire up and start running.

The problem I am experiencing started only two weeks ago when my mechanic rebuilt my alternator and replaced the voltage regulator. I was wondering if he did something wrong.

Thank you all for your HELP.

RANDY

Do the basics and check all the grounds, especially.

It's certainly likely that something didn't get quite tightened all the way down

when things were put back together.

A voltmeter is your eternal friend in cases like these...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Hello Randy,

I'm having the exact same problem with my 74tii. The trouble started yesterday after having the oil and filter changed by some yahoo's at Jiffy Lube. I watched them as closely as I could to avoid the dumb things grease monkeys try to do to our cars when left alone....

Anyway, the car started to loose power and ping like the spark is weak as I left the shop. I replaced the points and set the dwell (58 degrees) and timing (on the ball at 2400 with a light) but it didn't help. Turning over sounds like the battery is weak but it is not (13.3vdc)... Hard to get started and kicks after the key is released. Rough idle and running on less than 4 cylinders. I'm going to check the valves tomorrow morning and adjust to .008" stone cold.

ANYONE FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THIS.... HELP!

Thanks in advance

Patman

74 2002tii known as "The Pickle"

check and clean your fuses and contacts....pay close att. to #12. When I was carefully (I thought) removing my smoggy bits I accidently removed the wrong wire and had the same prob. The coil, the resistor wire, the relay(s), are all good places to eyeball/and clean contacts and check for loose wires. hope that helps!

'76 2002 anthrazitgrau 'Eli' the Chancellor

'87 325i delphin 'Chandler'

You took a tii to where???

Don't make me come over there. ;-p

Did they access the filter from above? If so, are the ground straps still around?

GL,

Ray

Hello Randy,

I'm having the exact same problem with my 74tii. The trouble started yesterday after having the oil and filter changed by some yahoo's at Jiffy Lube. I watched them as closely as I could to avoid the dumb things grease monkeys try to do to our cars when left alone....

Anyway, the car started to loose power and ping like the spark is weak as I left the shop. I replaced the points and set the dwell (58 degrees) and timing (on the ball at 2400 with a light) but it didn't help. Turning over sounds like the battery is weak but it is not (13.3vdc)... Hard to get started and kicks after the key is released. Rough idle and running on less than 4 cylinders. I'm going to check the valves tomorrow morning and adjust to .008" stone cold.

ANYONE FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THIS.... HELP!

Thanks in advance

Patman

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

You took a tii to where???

Don't make me come over there. ;-p

Did they access the filter from above? If so, are the ground straps still around?

GL,

Ray

I'm having the exact same problem with my 74tii. The trouble started yesterday after having the oil and filter changed by some yahoo's at Jiffy Lube.

Patman

I have a shop local to my home that lets me hover close and even go under the car to inspect and instruct when needed. I bring my own filter and oil. Unfortunately I had to start a long trip before I could get it done so I tried to squeeze it in during a layover. Bad idea I guess.

I'm going outside to check the fuses and ground wires (again) now.

Patman

Another vote here for checking the connections first. Not only has the car been worked on recently, but this is also the time of year when any suspect electrical connections will show problems. More moisture in the air, changing temps, etc. You should also check the cables themselves for any bulges or signs of corrosion. This will have the same affect as a bad connection and will cause an electric motor to turn slower.

Good luck!

Dan

Hello Patman,

My battery charging reads 12.9. When I rev the engine it reads 13.0. Could it be that the battery is not charging properly and it's low, so when I try to restart after driving around it's turning over on a weak battery.

Your problem is similar to mine. If you wish you could email me on the progress you are making, and I will do likewise, in resolving our problem.

email: vze27byq@verizon.net

Randy

Hello Randy,

My battery is reading 13.8 to 14v when the motor is running and 12.8v when idle. I don't think it's the battery in my case.

I checked the battery to engine and battery to chassi grounds visually, with a meter, and snugged all the bolts. No change.

I also cleaned all the fuses and holders with no change.

I am wondering if one of the wires to the coil is partially broken causing a low spark.

I'm hoping you are having more luck.

Any suggestions from others would also be appreciated.

Patman

Hello Patman,

I just came from the mechanic and he is positive that starter has to be changed or rebuilt. I decided to rebuild it and see what happens. The car is at the shop now.

I checked out everything that was suggested by everyone who tried to help me solve my problem. I thank all of you.

Randy

hello Patman and other Friends,

NOW WHAT?

The problem exists. I rebuilt the alternator and replaced the regulator. Today I rebuilt the starter but the problem is the same.

When I turn the key the engine will turn as on a dying battery. Then it will hesitate a bit and then fires up. After driving around and come to a stop and try to restart I am faced with the same problem.

NEED MORE HELPFUL ADVICE

Thanks

Randy

• 1 year later...