• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fan thru' the rad-?

Green2k2

Hey gang, I just got my '72 back from a local shop that was rebuilding the head. It's only been a couple-few days and while tooling out of a local mall with my wife, the fan hit the radiator.

I didn't know it at the time as it sounded a bit like a backfire type pop...but as i drove about two blocks or so the temp-needle started to climb.

higher and higher it went until it was well into the red and steaming like a tea-kettle.

Anyway, my question is this:

Have any of you had a "new" fan (with otherwise plenty of clearance) hit a radiator and bust a hole in it?

I noticed that the fan was flimsy as all get-out but I didn't think that it would distort and bend enough to "fly" itself into the radiator at less than 4K rpms!

crap!!!

Jack be nimble - Jack be quick

If Jack isn't, he's gonna get his ass burned!

Had it happen to me too.

The whole event took place in a hard left turn.

Turned out that the passenger side lower bolt to secure the radiator was mia and the top was loose enough to give in to the stress.

Once the tropical fan started to brush on the cores; it took a big bite and embedded itself taking out two rows.

Another issue may be your motor mounts are shot and do not support the engine or hold it in place.

But what do I know

There's not a lot of room there to start with--one thing to check for is whether you have a right side motor mount limiting strap. Surprises me how so many go missing? These will stop your engine heaving forward or lurching . You don't need a lot of movement to send the fan into the rad vanes.----- scoyote

..... yea ! what they said !

maybe the 'shop' removed the right mount LIMITING STOP BRKT.

and tossed it out for you so you would have More Power ???

or the other - yer fan blades ARE going soft ? but doubtful.

the red plastic usually goes the udder way - turning

hard and brittle. OR the radiator DID JUMP into the

fan because it's 401K is in the Krapper ?

02motormounts.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Okey-dokey there we have it.

The rad is solid and not moving.

the "new" fan does flex but doesn't appear to be so soft as to allow for contact.

The motor mounts are new.

What that leaves us is drivetrain movement. Which makes sense now that you guys mention it.

This occured under load. Not WOT mind you but at about 2500 rpms and 3/4 throttle in second or third gear.

I had no idea that this drive train moved that much!!

I'll speak with the shop today and find out what they say.

Thanks guys.

john

........... broken trans mount (it's just a tiny rubber button of a thing)

will let the motor dance forward

'rough' driving technique doesn't help either -

but the mounts should keep it in it's place

Thanks for the heads-up.

It's still early in this neck of the woods. When it gets light, I'll take a quick look and see what there is to discover.

Then I gotta figure out how to get this up to the shop...pfft.

...and I was all excited about having the car back in my possession too...now I won't get to cruise any canyons this weekend.

WAH!

...... see ? even this crusty 2002Turbo is missing it's

right motor mount stop bracket - but I don't think

it matters much - it won't be motoring about anytime soon.

Think that TURBOcharger spins anymore ?

4-5392041.JPG

4-5392041.JPG

Attached to the engine side of the mount is what looks like a vibration dampener. The 320s used one also but on the driver's side. Anyone familiar with this because the 4bangers w/o a balance shaft have the shakes around 2500 rpm.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

..... yea ! what they said !

maybe the 'shop' removed the right mount LIMITING STOP BRKT.

and tossed it out for you so you would have More Power ???

or the other - yer fan blades ARE going soft ? but doubtful.

the red plastic usually goes the udder way - turning

hard and brittle. OR the radiator DID JUMP into the

fan because it's 401K is in the Krapper ?

02motormounts.jpg

Happened to me too!

Fixed the limiter adjustment and haven't had a problem since.

ClayW
1967 1600-2 - M42 - 1521145          Follow my project at www.TX02.blogspot.com          E30 DD Project Blog

HA! The rust mites are winning that one!

Guest Anonymous

Since you did not change radiator or the fan, it is hard to see what your mechanic did to alter the spacial settings between the two. The other posts covered most of the obvious possibilities (2 engine mounts and 1 trans mount, forward stop, and fan flexing) but there are still other considerations.

Removing the head should not have involved reorienting the mounts, the fan or even the radiator. Be advised that not all radiators are identical and some have upper or lower tanks that protrude so that even if the radiator is flush to the forward bulkhead, the tanks (and in some cases the cooling tubes) can be unwittingly fitted so that interference with the fan is a foregone conclusion with hard acceleration hard braking or with an unforgiving fan during a very high rpm downshift down a hill.

I am currently blessed with an 02 that runs cool on the hottest of days - with the air conditioning on. I use an aluminum radiator, a stock 75C thermostat and Mercedes/Chrysler Gold antifreeze. The stock fan had approximately 1/4" clearance from the radiator. I cut the blades down as described elsewhere on this forum and have not had a problem in well over 10 years of almost daily use through heat and snow.

I changed the mounts about 5 years ago, but I think the Trans mount is probably most important since it is exposed to heat and any fluids that leak and tend to degrade the mount. Urethane might be the best for this mount - except for the potential increase in vibration.

O