• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Boost Brothers manifold mounted in my 2002!

ThisIsTheRanger

Also on Bimmerforums.

Yes, the first official mounting of a Boost Brothers manifold in an '02. I'll keep the details short and sweet so we can move on to the pictures.

I thought I would be the guinea pig for this mani because it was released at the exact same time I needed one. Having seen the pictures that Hapgilmore posted up, I thought for sure the flange would be way to far forward and I was prepared to cut into the front end. My suspicion was correct, but I would have to cut into the front end to run the charge pipes anyway so it's not a big deal. All in all, I believe the manifold will serve its duty very nicely and I don't forsee any issues with it, although I think a support brace would be a good idea.

Keep in mind I have a small turbine housing on there right now for the break in period of my engine. A larger housing will move the turbo at least a half inch toward the engine.

Specs of engine:

2.1L M10 with e12 head

Ross 91.5mm forged pistons, 8.5:1 comp

Ireland Engineering race bearings

MSIIv3 with EDIS

318i intake with 58mm TB for now

and a shiny Greddy BOV

On to the pics...

DSC01685.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

It does not interfere with the chain tensioner. About 1/8" clearance.

DSC01687.jpg

DSC01690.jpg

DSC01691.jpg

DSC01693.jpg

The compressor housing will end up being clocked so it's pointing nearly straight down...

DSC01696.jpg

DSC01697.jpg

DSC01699.jpg

DSC01698.jpg

-Cody

'73 Deuce, the "Snailmobile"

Nice!

What is your HP objective? How did you size your intercooler, and how did you determine fitment?

Please post more pics as you progress!

Well I'm not too sure but I figure if JRCook can make 240hp on tuned K-Jet and 14psi, I should be able to get close to that after I can produce that much boost with my turbo. It's been said that I should only run about 12psi with this small snail.

As for the intercooler, I have forgotten the dimension of it but it is a bar and plate type just small enough to not interfere with the hood hinge supports or anything else. I bought it off of the same guy I bought my short block from so I didn't pick it out. I'll measure it today or tomorrow.

-Cody

'73 Deuce, the "Snailmobile"

humm, 240hp with 14 psi is almost mathematicaly impossible, unless the poor venerable M10 has 4 valves per cylinder and over 80% eff.

70% eff. is a very efficient engine already, fully ported and flow matched with a 100% efficient intercooler.

14 psi non intercooled of M10 power gets you around 200hp no more.

once intercooled (properly), and the timing adjusted accordingly (important) expect 220-230hp maximum. this is purely mathematical related to thermodynamics.

My intercooler is in the range of 95-100% eff. Last g-tech runs with 16psi suggested 260hp, that also suggest 70% eff. engine, wich is on the very high mark, only because of the intercooler efficiency.

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

As for the intercooler, I have forgotten the dimension of it but it is a bar and plate type just small enough to not interfere with the hood hinge supports or anything else. I bought it off of the same guy I bought my short block from so I didn't pick it out. I'll measure it today or tomorrow.

Did you remove the support brackets that the stock horns mount on?

I imagine that you're planning on keeping the stock fan. It doesn't look like you'll be able to mount an electric pusher in front of the intercooler.

I'm wondering if the intercooler came from Bell Intercoolers. They have a pretty wide range of standard sizes available.

Looking forward to your measurements. the height, length and width of the core is sufficient for me.

Thanks!

John Capoccia

Sierra Madre, CA