• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how to....more e30 stuff

esty

ahhhhh yesss.... the E30 upper starter bolt. Perhaps the *worst* bolt on the entire car.....seriously!

Here's how I've done it in the past:

1. have a helper, under the car afix the socket on the head of the bolt, with a long long extension and ratchet.

2. have same helper remove the upper nuts on the trans mounts, and use a floor jack to raise transmission up an inch or so. (leaning the motor forward in the process (NOTE: loosen a hose clamp on Air Flow Meter boot to throttle body - or you risk tearing it as the motor moves!!!)

3. lean over driver's side fender, and get a stubby, or extra long 17mm wrench on the nut. (I think stubby works best and when using one, to get leverage, sometimes, I'll use a 3 foot prybar as a punch (held against the side of the wrench) and smack it to crack the nut loose a wee bit. After that - it's cramping fingers time. I glue the nut to a wrench and dangle it down, when reinstalling the ornery little creep.

4. I would never EVER do this while on my back. I'm too damn stiff and snobby to bust my ass like that. Standing under a lift is bad enough IMHO!

...basically - it's a shitty job - I'd rather pull and install 02 heaterboxes, or subframes.

Hope this helps though.

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

Guest Anonymous

the lower trans bolts were torx heads, not the uppers. Sometimes the top bolts are easier to get to with the trans mount bracket undone to lower the trans a few inches. When under the car use a 2 foot extension bar to get after the bolts.1/2inch drive is best because a 3/8 bar will flex twist when the bolts are real tight to loosen.

the lower trans bolts were torx heads, not the uppers. Sometimes the top bolts are easier to get to with the trans mount bracket undone to lower the trans a few inches. When under the car use a 2 foot extension bar to get after the bolts.1/2inch drive is best because a 3/8 bar will flex twist when the bolts are real tight to loosen.

thanks guys...on my 87, the upper trans bolts are also "torx head"

we managed to get the top on the passenger side out...maybe raising and/or lowering the back of the trans will help...

today and my helper have gone though...so the 2 remaining tough nuts will live until another time....

thanks again guys

I've done that top bolt from under the car with long extensions (and I think a u-joint extension - it's been a while) and the tail of the trans dropped down. It helps to have someone place the Torx socket on the bolt head for you while you're underneath, but it can be done alone.

Good luck,

-Karl

'73 '02 

Wow, that brings back memories. I had the tranny out of my 325i a couple times, and got some practice at this. They are right on the money. First, have a helper; this sucks doing it alone. Unbolt the driveshaft and tranny mount, have somebody pull the rear of the tranny down, and use a long extension (or several 6" extensions) and a wobbly head to get those bolts. The trick is moving the engine/tranny enough to get you clearance.

73 Sahara

76 S52 swap of dooooooooom

01 540i-6

90 Range Rover classic (because 02s just weren't masochistic enough)