• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

72 tii - Hollister CA $35,000 SOLD

dubois

For those who don't know this car, it is a very special one. Legend has it that this is one of three cars built by Max Hoffman to show off the newly imported 2002tii. It is loaded with rare and exotic parts, including many Alpina parts. It was featured in the Mike McCartney book on 2002s and is well-known in these parts. If I had garage space, it would be mine. And that is no idle threat -- I considered it very seriously when I sold my CSL......

now: '72 Inka 2000 touring, '82 Alpina C1 2.3  & '92 M5T (daily driver)

before: a lot of old BMWs (some nice, some not so much), a few air-cooled 911s and even a water-cooled Cayman S

Alpina restoration blog: https://www.alpinac1.com/

Oh Michael, it breaks my heart to see you sell it. But, that being said, I really think you should ask significantly more for it, or consider putting it up for auction next year at the RM in Monterey. It would be a real treat to see it amongst all the exotics, and I dare say it would fetch a tremendous amount. Just my .02.

-Ben

Michael,

Good luck with the sale, it is a good and fair price to be had for a historic tii, and one that has been very well cared for......I just hope it stays in the Cal community so we all can keep seeing it at meets year after year.....talk to you soon.

Jeff

Stay tuned for more of SoCal Vintage BMW
http://www.SoCalVintageBMW.com
BMW CCA Member #423513

Guest Anonymous

I know this car. In fact, I worked for Bill Holmes in the early '90s in San Diego and have driven it.

From what I remember it is not a real Alpina, but has most of the period parts on it. It was hit on the right rear relatively hard at one point. It was owned by a lady enthusiast named Margaret at one point.

DarkStar

Guest Anonymous

I would like to know if the owner could comment on the last reply that darkstar made, regarding the accident appenrently the car was it hard in the rear quarter panel, and that this is not a real Alpina, but a 2002tii with Alpina parts. Thank you.

Carrera, I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt, and assume that you are genuinely interested in the car, as a potential buyer.

The "hit" on the rt quarter is ancient history, it was even mentioned in the iconic 1991 European Car Magazine article. If you had read it, it describes how Margaret was in a bind trying to replace one of the wheels that was damaged during the accident, the Campagnolo are ultra rare, as you may know.

I have posted the website link, and it contains lots of pictures and details about the car, including close up of the rt suspension and rt quarter.

To put this into perspective, I own a bodyshop, and had the car on the alignment rack the first day - not to align it, no no no (I couldn't and wouldn't dare), but to preserve the alignment specs of the car, just in case I had to go back to it. There was absolutely nothing wrong.

The repairs were evidently professionaly performed, since it took me 5 years to find out (I repeat I even own a bodyshop), it was only when we removed the inner qt trim that I saw the new sheet metal.

The second point that the car "is not a real Alpina", is also ancient history, it is also explained in the 1991 article how this car was "created" with a lot of Alpina parts, some of the modifications in Germany, the majority here.

The debate and mistique sorrounding this car has been going on for years too, it was like that when I purchased the car (the ever present peanut gallery... you know). I bought it sight unseen and after 5 minutes of driving it, I was convinced... it is a great car.

FAQ Member # 91