• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Got K & N Valve Cover Breather, Now How to Install It

justinevert

Got the filter but having a difficult time to install it.

Don't want to use hose (looks tacky and won't hold up over time.

Tried various metal tubes to try to match up ID on both ends, not much luck.

With all the ones I have seen in pics, what works to make a clean set up?

Confused but appreciative.

Justin

'75 02

Lola

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

opinion :

yes - it's POSITIVE CRANKCASE VENTILATION

and your on the right track - a drain hole is provided for oil and

water to drain - normal, and the white plastic 'jet like orifice'

stuck into the cam cover outlet is a oil seperator and venturi

to promote good vapor flow - being drawn out of the motor,

to be reburned back into the intake, which also helps the planet,

and do not install a 'round K+N like filter' because that causes

blockage of crancase venting = BAD. YOU DO need to wipe out the

air cleaner, throttle housing at your oil changes - THATS why they call it

routine maintainence. Glad your paying attention to your cars good health.

Lay hands on everything OFTEN which prevents things falling off,

catching fire, or worse. The car is 36 years old! Dat's like 90 years for

your body ! how many doctors do you think you'll be seeing weekly

when your 90 ? Your tii has a good friend - keep the trust.

02m10tiimotorventingtransparent.jpg

02emissiondia1976.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Guest Anonymous
Got the filter but having a difficult time to install it. Don't want to use hose (looks tacky and won't hold up over time. Tried various metal tubes to try to match up ID on both ends, not much luck.

With all the ones I have seen in pics, what works to make a clean set up?

Confused but appreciative. Justin '75 02 Lla

Sticking a filter like a cherry on the valve cover looks useful. Except when you drive the car daily and it begins to weep oil and collect dirt requiring constant attention. When the underside of the hood shows signs of collecting fumes, it hardly looks anything but tacky. But your idea of tacky is probably much different than mine.

If you route the filter out of site or to a remote area with whatever type of plumbing, including a hose, it can look clean and well engineered. There are many types of "hose" including reinforced clear vinyl to opaque plastic that can be used to route EGR fittings as used by Audi and VW. You state the hose won't hold up over time. Mine has lasted for over 15 years of daily use. Do you want something to last until the return of Glaciers?

hth

This is how I did it. The catch can is available at any number of sources or can be homemade.

Simple, attractive, functional, and permanent.

What is so tacky about that.

And seriously while most of our cars have zero functional emission control who could cry about the venting from the valve cover not going back into the combustion chamber?

PS the worst solution is placing that K&N filter on the stub on the valve cover. Furthermore the value of a K& N is to filter air not to just be a vent, so no real improvement on the $1.29 filter I use on my vent can.

post-344-1366759620469_thumb.jpg

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

I plan to buy the summit's catch can deal, but for now I am using the K&N directly on the valve cover. My mechanic told me to just slap a "Baby sock" on it and I should be good to go so I'll try that first...

hamada

I ordered one of those Summit plastic cans and sent it right back. They are as big as a football and look odd and cheep. I was lucky to get that aluminium can from an FAQer for $30.

75 2002: weber, ANSA, lowered, 14" wheels, new engine, new suspension, rust free & square.

Does anyone have a nice looking "catch can" they can sell me to put this Breather filter on?

Mike Hannigan had one for me but he has gone missing.

Justin

The question is not that we broke a few rules or took certain liberties with our female guests.

We did ;)

Charlie don't surf!!

I plan to buy the summit's catch can deal, but for now I am using the K&N directly on the valve cover. My mechanic told me to just slap a "Baby sock" on it and I should be good to go so I'll try that first...

hamada

I ordered one of those Summit plastic cans and sent it right back. They are as big as a football and look odd and cheep. I was lucky to get that aluminium can from an FAQer for $30.

Mike, Thanks for the tip. I will look for something else instead.

Hamada

70Bristol02 E36M3 E34535im

Guest Anonymous

"Don't want to use hose (looks tacky and won't hold up over time. Tried various metal tubes to try to match up ID on both ends, not much luck."

Those small filters come in a variety of pre-formed sizes. You did not get one with an inside diameter slightly larger or close to the size of the valve cover spout. Why not return the filter and get a more appropriate size?

You state you tried various metal tubes to ty to match up the ID on both ends without luck. Just how were you going to attach the metal tube to the metal port that is part of the valve cover? Use some imagination. Any plumbing supply, Hardware, Home depot should have couplings that would work. A 1" length of hose could easily be used as an adapter pvc, besides there are copper, brass, and stainless reducers of all sizes.

Now that you seem to want to go the catch can route, why not make your own? If you have been reading this forum, you would be aware that many 02'ers adapt a windshield washer reservoir as a catch can. I have seen everything from plastic soda bottles to small metal brake fluid cans adapted for the same use. But then maybe that is too tacky and the hose may not hold up over time.