• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Question for the purist Shift boot and hood insulation

BillWilliams

Here are pictures of my shift boot and hood insulation in a 1972 2000tii touring.

Please tell me what is wrong with them. I lost two points each in a recent concours. The judge told me the boot was wrong for the year and the center insulation was placed in the wrong place but he did not tell what the correct shift boot was or where the center insulation should be placed. I am willing to change them to make them correct but I am not sure what to change to. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sept0411copy.jpg
Sept201copy.jpg

Edited by BillWilliams

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Is your shift boot smooth rubber like this one?:

6ba6_1.JPG

I know the Bavarias and (maybe?) e9's used a similar one that has a vinyl-like texture to it. I'm pretty sure the smooth one is correct.

As for the hood insulation, I have no idea - I've always seen that as the proper install method.

post-1819-13667595824554_thumb.png

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Was this the O'fest concours?

Either way, the boot you have is for a 320i/530i, the 2002 boot should be smooth rubber, not the grained/textured variety. The correct knob should also be the plain rubber mushroom variety.

Hood insulation is more tricky to explain. What you have looks right, but isn't quite. The rightmost panel should be larger than the other two, which are the same size. You have the right placement, though. I'll have to find a picture of an original car, it's fairly obvious once you see it.

The right hood panel is larger than the other two. The insulation fits from center frame to outer frame and from the front piece to the hood tension bar.

But the judge told me the center one was placed incorrectly. I would appreciate seeing the correct insulation piece.

Does anyone have a smooth boot for sale?

Thanks for your help.

Harve, I was missing pieces in that picture, I think I have them all on their now.

FAQ member #5

I don't know anything.

Here goes: Don't Roundies have round accordian shift boots?

Let's get a couple of plates full of loaded Jess' hotdogs and discuss it.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

Elkton, VA

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

This is just a guess, but... if you look at the illustration Hkrix attached, the three foam pieces are all aligned at the leading edge, whereas in the photo of Bill Williams car the leading edges are staggered where the middle piece is essentially mounted a little further forward.

What about the soft boot version? Was this type offered like mine? I think the uncomfortable shift knob is a factory piece on my car (I'm no expert).

I've seen the round, accordian type boot on older cars.

post-8235-13667595827761_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

I honestly think that the judge was mistaken regarding the hood insulation. It looks to be different shades of gray though - or is that just the photo?

center piece looks dead on to me - and I remember how much of a PITA it was to adhere it BEHIND the torsion rod - GGRRRRRGH!

shift boot is same shape - but smooth rubber, not grained at all. Can't tell what you've got in it, though.

peace out mr Bill!

Paul Wegweiser

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I have a similar soft one. Your knob looks original though.

Bill - I agree with the others re: hood insulation = looks correct. I had the same E21 shift boot in my '76 '02. I liked the way the pebble finish mimicked the shift boot surround piece I had.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Blunt is ordering me the proper one.

Yes sir Paul, they are different shades of gray, our former employer sold those to me that way. I did not notice them when I installed them.

However, one judge said specifically said it was the placement of the center piece and I believe the other is saying the passenger side one is the wrong size.

Guess we may not know what they meant.

FAQ member #5