• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Anyone running E3 control arms on their 2002?

ojr32

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can spare a few moments and help me with info on control arm options for the 2002.

My existing control arms are in poor condition and would like to know what options there are for replacing them for more camber/strength (for racing). I know I can beef the stock ones up by boxing them but have heard that the E3/E12 forged/cast control arms also work.

Has anyone done an E3/E12 control arm conversion on their 2002? What components apart from the control arm are required for the conversion. Are there any issues with tie rods, other steering components etc to be aware of? How much will it push the track out on the front end?

I should note that I am also running turbo flares (so tyre/fender clearance shouldn't be an issue).

Any information would be appreciated as I have tried searching the forums with out success.

Thanks

Hello,

I have used the e12 ones on my racecar. The length is good but there is another problem. They have more "curve" than originals. So that if you mount the outer end the inner end is too far back (or vice versa). I think some guys just twist it in there but I would not do so. in I used longer bolt on the inner end and strenghtened the subframe construction to support the other end of bolt. See the picture. The forward reaction arm was also used from e12.

Tommy

frontcaliper.jpg

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Huh- Tommy, I didn't have that problem. But I used 2002 front

location arms, which gave me a lot more caster... ideally, I'd use

adjustable front arms, 'cause the ideal wheel position seems to be

somewhere in the middle of the 2002- e12 range.

They DO add a goodly chunk (2-3 degrees) of camber, and push the whole

wheel out in the arch. I ran upper camber plates too, and even so had to

work pretty hard to get things to fit...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ok, let's see how close I get here....

tii struts, E24 caliper, 1/8" spacer,

turbo flare,

205-60-13 Toyo R888 (unshaved) on a

13x7" Panasport racing wheel

with

3 3/4" backspace, so maybe e12?

I think.

Total front camber in the 4 degree range, and I couldn't stand it

up any more. As it was, it wore the edge of the flare.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ok, let's see how close I get here....

tii struts, E24 caliper, 1/8" spacer,

turbo flare,

205-60-13 Toyo R888 (unshaved) on a

13x7" Panasport racing wheel

with

3 3/4" backspace, so maybe e12?

I think.

Total front camber in the 4 degree range, and I couldn't stand it

up any more. As it was, it wore the edge of the flare.

t

If ET is the measurement from the mounting face to the centre-line of the wheel then:

3 3/4 (backspace) minus 3 1/2 (half the wheel width) = 0.25" =

an ET of just over 6mm for the wheel alone.

Add 1/8" for the spacer, which is 3.175mm = an effective ET of 9.525, which is going to stick out a quite a bit whatever the suspension.

Or is my Math screwed? It's late here and all this talk about ET has left me cross eyed.

Or is my Math screwed? It's late here and all this talk about ET has left me cross eyed.

ET of -6, plus 1/8" = -2mm ish, or close enough to zero.

The thing is, the wheel probably isn't 7" wide - it will be 7" nominal width and could be anywhere up to 8" wide.

So .... if you go the mega caster route, the tyre must foul the front arch, surely?

2002tii race car

Kiitos Tommy

Thanks guys for the info..

Did any of you have problems with the tie rods and the extra length? Did you have to put in any stoppers for the steering arms to stop them turning in too much??

So with the 323i disc brake trailing arms I am running in the rear and the wider control arms up front 15x7" ET12 wheels "should work" without scrubbing....??

As I recall the tie rods have enough length.

I did extend the stoppers at some point. I don't remember the exact reason. It was easy to extend at the subframe where it stops originally.

"...15x7" ET12 wheels "should work" without scrubbing....??" Not sure about that ET 12 may be too little. I had ET22 with Zender flare. You just have to try it - maybe it's ok. Depends on camber too. You may want to bring upper mounts a bit out to avoid too much camber.

"Kiitos Tommy" Ole hyvä! - You're welcome. I'm impressed :-)

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!