• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1600-2 wiper motor wiring (1968)

dieterschmied

The wiper would not stop until I removed one wire from the connector block.

There are three wire to the motor. There are also three wires coming from the switch. Coincidence?

Two of the three wires coming from the switch are at 12V when the ignition is turned on. They are black and blue with green. I don't know what the yellow one does. One of the two always-on wire is the park wire.

Sometime in the past, someone may have made a fix. With switch completely removed and disconnected and with the ignition switch on , the wipers sweep.

Any clues out there?

I don't have a wiring diagram.

Where does these two "hot" wires get their power from? In other words, what circuit is supposed to feed them and are both supposed to be hot?

Thanks

i had a similar problem when i installed a nos windshield wiper motor in my 70 '02...it also had the 3 individual wires...and when i turned the car on, the wipers were on, regardless of the switch...i believe my problem was in the washer pump relay, as i unplugged the black wire going to the relay and they worked as they should...i don't have my washer bottle hooked up anyway, so it doesn't matter for me now, but i think i need a new relay. sorry i can't help more.

yep, there's something wrong with the washer pump relay (round thing). Check if the wires are hooked up correctly and use that voltmeter to see if any unwanted wires are hot.

I have also noticed that some motors have an extra ground wire. What for? don't know-maybe that's the culprit....

68' 2002 DD

1. The self-parking mechanism may be faulty...'02 wiper motors have a power feed that's "hot" all the time; that way the wipers can park themselves at the bottom of the windshield after you turn the switch off. If the parking mechanism (two contacts inside the tuna fish-sized can on the wiper motor) go haywire, the wipers won't shut off unless you pull the fuse. Check the archives for more detailed information on how to troubleshoot and fix this problem.

2. Early cars like yours have an electromechanical timer for the "wash-wipe" cycle--it's a bi-metal strip that closes the circuit by bending when activated, then gradually straightens out and opens the circuit after about 4-5 wiper strokes. If the points in the relay are stuck together, it'll also cause the "won't shut off" symptoms you describe. On your '68, the relay is a silver can on the firewall near the distributor. They're NLA, but if you're careful you can uncrimp the cover and check the points for proper operation, unsticking 'em if they're stuck closed.

Let us know what you find and we can try further long-distance troubleshooting...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I sent you an email.

The park works.

I found the "can" ; it looks like a flasher and disconnecting its black wire allows me to pull a black wire from the motor and stop AND PARK the arm so a "fix" is in site but no two speeds, if there were two speeds. I need to test more and I would prefer not to jury-rig the circuit.

Hallo Kameraden!

Ich habe Erfolg erreicht!

Ich habe den Unterlegscheibenrelais vollständig herausgenommen.

Meine Windscheibenwischer funktionieren.

Jetzt muss ich das Auto wiederaufbauen.

Removing the relay completely did the trick. The relay is a little rusty inside but I think it is repairable, if someone wants it.

I won't need the washer. My 1600-2 , aka The Daffmobile" , is converted but is not a convertible. It has no roof. I have four strategically place holes in the floor board to deal with the rain, when stationery. As long as I don't stop, the windshield takes care of the rain when I am moving. Don't get the idea that this is a rust-bucket. It is adorned with hand-painted daffodils and the women are always asking for a ride. These women, being typical can accept the rain but they have to tell me how to drive and they need the wiper for that sometimes.

I appreciate the help.

• 7 years later...

Reviving an old thread, because I have struggled with this myself. I have the early type car with the three wire can type relay.

Had two relays, both of them were bad. The problem is that when they get old they short circuit between the 15 and M. 15 is always hot and when powering the window washer the 31b gets connected to earth.

Managed to get hold of a new relay, and paid enough for it. I got very upset when the new one didn't work as well.

Started some troubleshooting, and found out that the wiper stopped if i tapped the can. The new relay did not have any short circuit so time to open it up. I could hear that the relay kicked in when applying power to it. But it didn't turn off. Meaning the bimetal didn't straighten itself out.

Once inside there are two "handles" which you can bend. Bend the small one. This controls the movement of the bimetal. In my case the bimetal moved to far and wouldn't jump back. Moved it towards the other contact. Too close and the delay is becoming too short. Too far away and it can have difficulties in returning. You will find out.

When you are satisfied, put it together again and hook it up to the firewall.

The pump is connected to the same green/blue wire as the relay, number 15. It is always hot.When operating the handle it gets connected to earth too and starts pumping. If it works it is ok, if it does not work, change it.

Disconnect the pump and the relay. If the window wipers work correctly then that part is ok and not to worry about. If it is not working, change it for another good used unit.