• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to forum, new to 2002s! Saying hello.

Ferret2002

Hello all. About 3 weeks and 500 miles ago, I purchased a 1975 2002. and said goodbye to my e30 325i. 025.jpg

So far, I've been making little plans here and there of what I want to do to it. I know 3 things for sure:

1. It will be my daily driver.

2. Most if not all of the work will be done by me and my buddies in the comfort of a garage.

3. If it's fun to drive now, I can't wait to get my project really going!

After Vintage @ the vineyards '08, I knew I had to get one. So I moseyed around for about 6 months, and finally stumbled upon this one. Hiding in the back of a warehouse for over a year, she came home the very next day. The goods are the interior (restored by someone, basically flawless unless examined veeery closely) the lack of major rust, and the overall mechanical solidarity of the car. The bads are the brakes, the steering box feeling a bit tight, and the paint. Oh god the paint. Forget the paint though, it's semantics.

So far, I've began taking care of the rust, and ripped off the front bumper. Got my self a master cyl, just waiting for a good energetic day or two to get that done. This will by no means be a perfect super cool restoration, for I am a poor college kid (insert sad violin music HERE) and will cut corners without a second thought on many occasions :P.

I have tons of questions, any insight or ideas given to me are appreciated.

As of right now I plan to do the basic "brakes, suspension and wheel" job, and don't have any other plans set for this year. I want to remove the chrome line as well as the side trim...The cars I've seen without them just look "right" to me.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. But if by some odd chance you broke it, deny it.

DSC_0621.jpg

ITs a fun journey with many ups, and downs. My advice is to be aquainted with people whe really know what they are doing, and put off some money just in case something happens.

I opted to get a job at A1 imports, and its been one great experience.

Its important to keep your head up and really push through the hard times, because theres time when you just want to kick the piece of S%&* and walk away, but it is all rewarding when its all done.

Welcome to the madness!

What shade of green is your car (i.e. Amazon, Jade)?

I recommend you join a local club (Contact Scott Sturdy of The 02 Group) and you'll be much better off than just wasting your $ and time.

Since it sounds like your car has been sitting for a while, I'd recommend you start by replacing the brake booster check valve, the rubber flex brake hoses, the blue-colored (or black) brake hoses at the reservoir and trying! to free the rear brake shoe adjuster bolts. Then put in fresh brake fluid.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Looks very nice to me. Your starting out with one that needs minimal work.

Thats half the battle. Your going to love this car.

When you start de-chroming keep me in mind.

I would like to purchase the two chrome strips under the doors that mount on the rocker panels.

Thanks and have fun they are a blast.

Joel.

Well, thanks all. So far, not that many downs. Hopefully it will stay that way. I can't imagine it getting any more frustrating than some of the bugs on e30s. The brakes are weird little bastards. I'm basically going to wrestle with the whole thing one hose and braided hose and nipple at a time. Doesn't seem too daunting.

The paint itself is actually a respray...A long time ago it was that sahara-ey color. A sub par respray at that. As per the people who know what they are doing, I'm keeping friends with the local bmw shops, and just might contact the '02 group. Honestly I'm most nevrous about it's carbuerator. Never dealt with one. I understand the basics of it, but am not looking forward to having to toy with it.

And about the chrome, it's basically all pretty ugly. If you still want them, I shall keep you in mind. Somehow, the front hood chrome stuff has been dented repeatedly. god knows how.

Since I'm here, could someone point me towards the look of the car immediately after chrome and trim removed, pre hole fill, so I know what I'm dealing with? I'd appreciate it. If not, gimme a keyword to search for, I've played around, havent found much other than the one welding topic.

If it's not broke, don't fix it. But if by some odd chance you broke it, deny it.

DSC_0621.jpg

Otis, Rush Chairman. Damn Glad to Meet You.

Greensboro, eh? I've thought about it a long time. And, your new Delta Faqer name is ... Korman.

Jeez, you live in Greensboro? It's a federal offense not to hook up with Scott Sturdy - if he catches you in the 'hood, without participating in his group, he's likely to go postal. And Hell hath no wrath like a Postal Sturdy.

As for fixing your car, all you have to do is spend an afternoon at Mike Pugh's (MikeinNC). I wish I lived closer to Mike. My 02 life would be better then.

www.the02group.zoomshare.com

post-1769-13667595083992_thumb.gif

Korman eeh. I have a buddy who used to work for em. Nice guys. Been to their shop to oogle the m1 every once in a while. I shall take your advice, and not be spotted cruising without being part of ze gruppe. And the gentleman who i should be living next to due to his 2002 building skills, I must meet him. And shake his hand. And hope he likes beer.

DSC_0621.jpg

Live in Winston-Salem and work in Greensboro. Always willing to help out as you travel the 2002 path!

2003 GMC Sierra Stuff Hauler

2000 Honda Odyssey Family Hauler

1992 Mazda Miata Wife's Grocery Getter

1988 Honda NT650 Hawk GT Dust Collector

1973 BMW 2002 Sunny Day Driver

1991 318iC Daughter's ride

Welcome to the craziness Like folks said, email Scott Sturdy and get on the email list, visit the website and frequent this board If I can be of any help let me know You are surrounded by 02 folks We have a pretty good time here in the old North State Two events in Oct and one in Nov remaining for the year