• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Making a 2002 convertible project (N.C.)

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have been kicking this idea around for a while, so I now want to try it out.

I acquired a 1973 2002 for the cost of towing it home. The car had been “beaten up” by some kids throwing bricks. Unfortunately, the roof at the rear window area was dented. I think it would be tough to fix myself and I do not want to spend a lot of money on this car. I was wondering if anyone wanted to help chop the top off and weld some steel supports (I already have the steel). We will need welding and cutting tools, and any expertise with this type of project. If you live in NC or close by and would be interested in such a fun filled day of 2002 convertible conversion….please respond to this email. Thanks in advance!!!!

Tim

Your gonna have a lot of fun doing the chopping and then driving it around town with all the attention and questions.

If you don't have delusions of auto crossing or running more HP than stock, you won't need extra supporting.

I have done it twice both on 76 cars which are a little heftier in chassis than a 73 but mostly the same. You will experience a little door deflection on bumpy roads.

Besides, you will most likely be the final owner of this car so don't waste your time and money to combat the paranoia about unibody flex. If the rockers are solid, you are good to go. My cars top came off quicker than a girl gone wild in Ft Lauderdale on Spring break. Three cuts per side provided you have a sun roof. Otherwise just pull the headliner and follow the sheet metal lines around the window.

Shameless promotion:

If you or anyone else is interested to acquire an already done roadster; feel free to contact me here on the board. This one passes SMOG with flying colors.

post-2154-13667593783339_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

Guest Anonymous

Are you honestly insinuating that this could be done in a day? Please either find the tools and skills necessary to do a good job or don't bother.

What does "you will likely be the last owner" mean? I take it to mean you're assuming he'll do a crap job and have to scrap the car eventually because it is too unsafe to sell. If you can't build a car that will outlive your own mortal body, again, please do not bother. Leave the cars for people who can make something out of them. They will never make another one. What we have now is all the world gets.

Are you honestly insinuating that this could be done in a day? Please either find the tools and skills necessary to do a good job or don't bother.

What does "you will likely be the last owner" mean? I take it to mean you're assuming he'll do a crap job and have to scrap the car eventually because it is too unsafe to sell. If you can't build a car that will outlive your own mortal body, again, please do not bother. Leave the cars for people who can make something out of them. They will never make another one. What we have now is all the world gets.

So; what are you saying?

I take it to mean you do not wish to purchase my car and you want cars to outlive the humans who build them.

But what do I know

Guest Anonymous

Thank you for your reply and the picture. Would you be able to send additional pictures to my e-mail address. From your picture it apears you only braced the siderails. My e-mail address is brisbint@bellsouth.net, and again thank you for your valuable input!

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Conkitchen,

I think your car turned out incredible by the pictures, and I appreciate your input since you have experience doing this project. I'll probably support the side rails and under the back seat area (cross-supported), since this car has some rust issues. I can't send a 2002 to a junk yard or crusher, so I want to give it a "new" life. Do you have any additional pictures (close-up) of your car, so I can see your technique used?

Many Thanks,

Tim ( brisbint@bellsouth.net)

BIG favor, and do the structural reinforcement BEFORE you whack the roof off - the roof will keep the tub more or less square while you weld in whatever reinforcements you're planning to add (keep in mind that the expansion and contraction that goes along with welding on the tub can induce twisting and warping where you least want it.

Maybe I'm just an old fart and increasingly aware of my mortality, but in my opinion, there's a much better reason than chassis flex to reinforce the tub before making major structural changes (cutting the roof off more than qualifies). A roofless, unreinforced car may hold up ok in light duty normal street crusing, but you owe it to yourself (and especially to any future passengers you may carry) to consider the consequences of someone plowing into you from behind at any speed over walking pace - an unreinforced car is likely to fold up like a ball of aluminum foil.

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Depends on where in NC you are but I am not far. I have the tools and a tubing bender so you could support the vehicle with the rear rollover hoops. I am down in SC but not to far from NC. I eyeballed this on mine but it is still in to good of shape to cut apart. It should be easy enough to do in a day and get all the caps welded in. Then you will have a few weekends of grinding and finish work to do.

Conkitchen,

I think your car turned out incredible by the pictures, and I appreciate your input since you have experience doing this project.... Do you have any additional pictures (close-up) of your car, so I can see your technique used?

The technique I used is posted on this website.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.nerocam.com/SCC_Images/image023.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.nerocam.com/SCC_TAP.asp&h=480&w=640&sz=61&hl=en&start=138&tbnid=FLUnuu0DxyEYLM:&tbnh=103&tbnw=137&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsawzall%26start%3D120%26gbv%3D

post-2154-13667593872133_thumb.jpg

But what do I know

Guest Anonymous

RClippa,

Please e-mail me at brisbint@bellsouth.net to set-up a day to get this done. There are a few 02 Group members in NC, who would probably want to participate as well. Let me know what supplies you think will be needed. I already have two large sections of ¼ square steel beams. I appreciate your interest in this project and I look forward to your reply.

Tim

Tim,

I'd be glad to help and have a wire welder I'd love to learn how to use! I'm in Winston-Salem, so we can coordinate weekend availability. Email at bruce@macphersonfamily.com and we can find a day that works.

Bruce

Bruce MacPherson

Winston-Salem, NC

'73 tii

• 2 weeks later...