• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need BMW Roundel Horn Button for MOMO Prototipo Wheel

02fanatic

This is a great looking wheel....but I don't like the yellow logo. Anyone have a source for nice Roundel Horn Buttons?

Thanks,

John

post-197-1366759359693_thumb.jpg

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I was looking for a horn button myself a few years ago, and was informed that BMW lawyers had nixed after-market roundels. However, if you can find a BMW motorcycle reflector kit, it contains the perfect horn button, albeit intended for a motorcycle. It required removing a tiniy amount of material from the circumference, but otherwise fits perfectly.

Ian

'76 M2

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

Nice! I don't have the wheel yet...it's on the way. I may try that. Thanks!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

I was looking for a horn button myself a few years ago, and was informed that BMW lawyers had nixed after-market roundels. However, if you can find a BMW motorcycle reflector kit, it contains the perfect horn button, albeit intended for a motorcycle. It required removing a tiniy amount of material from the circumference, but otherwise fits perfectly.

Ian

'76 M2

Thanks Ian...I may try that if nothing else works. There's a Beemer dealer near me.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

The decal for the tii alloy rims is 45mm diameter. I just placed one over my momo button and it looks like I'd need to trim 1mm off the diameter of the decal to fit it on top of the momo button. I think I'll give that a try.

part number 36131181082.

** note, my wheel is not a prototipo, but I'm guessing its the same button size

----------------

Mark

Rusty 74 verona

WTB a roundie!

The decal for the tii alloy rims is 45mm diameter. I just placed one over my momo button and it looks like I'd need to trim 1mm off the diameter of the decal to fit it on top of the momo button. I think I'll give that a try.

part number 36131181082.

** note, my wheel is not a prototipo, but I'm guessing its the same button size

Please let me know how that works.

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

Ok who sniped that nice BMW Horn Button away from me? Shame on you! :-)

Still looking......

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

I tried, but I think it may have been the last one! Darn! I should have grabbed it...you tried. Much appreciated. There's just no honor among some enthusiasts! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

So I trimmed off the outer silver trim on a tii alloy decal cause the decal is ~2mm too large to go directly onto the momo button. I just trimmed it free hand, and (after I took the picture) I figured out that I could fine tune the edge w/ a fine-tooth file, cause the tii allow decal is made of a thick hard plasticy film.

In order to make this look decent, I'm going to get a chrome rattle can, tape off the button, and paint the inner rim of the home made roundel button silver (where the red arrow is in the picture). The proper horn has the correct roundel w/ 2 chrome circles surrounding it, the home made one will only have the outer painted chrome rim.

The tii alloy decal has a dome shape, which is not exactly the same profile as the center of my momo button, so there is a couple mm of space underneath the very center of the tii decal.

In more skilled hands than mine, this might actually look decent. Would this run afoul of the BMW lawyers? Does someone want to start making these assembly line style, and send me a well made one for free because it was my idea?

post-9829-13667593664609_thumb.jpg

post-9829-13667593666429_thumb.jpg

----------------

Mark

Rusty 74 verona

WTB a roundie!

Nice work......better than nothing. I still fail to see the "logic" by BMW to not allow production of these buttons, as they go onto BMW's afterall.

Dumb ass lawyers ruin it everytime for the masses!

Sorry to vent, but it's just wrong!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"