• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goodfellas Streetmachine

Tommy

I'm starting a new blog as I've began to restore my -76 1502. This is my first car that I have had it since 1992. Here is some background. http://personal.inet.fi/cool/grt/streetmachine/main2.html Now it has been sitting unused for 2 years.

I still have my racecar in garage so I'm not able to fit this one in. I'm looking for a place to store the racer so I could start bodywork. In the meantime I started the project from Recaro seats I bought while ago. They were in quite sad condition and not originally from BMW. I believe they are from some Opel. I asked from a shop for an estimate for re-upholstering Recaros and rear seat. I was prepared but it still surprized me. 2300...2500Eur plus material 500...700Eur!! All labor is expensive in Finland but this was just too much for me.

I figured I can do it myself. I managed to persuade my mom do the sewing so I don't have to learn that. We have now finished the first parts and I believe that we will get a result that can be shown in public. Either me or my mom don't have any experience from upholstering but she's quite good with the sewing machine.

So here we go. I let the pictures speak for what has been done until now.

post-218-13667593526519_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667593527587_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667593528587_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667593529588_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667593530591_thumb.jpg

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Looks really good!

I was thinking of giving my own recaros a go. Are you using leather or vinyl? What kind of sewing machine are you using?

Can't wait to see the rest!

-Andrew Poon

IMG_5202-1-1.jpg

1976 2002 - Mintgrun

1986 535i - Bronzit

Some plan about the project. I have budgeted that I can put 10kEur in this in two years, hopefully some less. As a result I want a nice summer driver that can be used for spirited driving but is also comfortable for longer traveling. Style will be towards original from where it is now. I have abandoned the idea of a turbo clone. Flares will be removed and rockers will be replaced with original ones as well as the front clip. I want the body be as good as possible. It will not be all original but I will try to make factory like solutions. Finished look is important in all areas for me.

Of course I will do as much of the work myself as I possibly can. Bodywork will be the biggest job. I'm not sure if I'm skilled enough to make a satisfying result. Finishing and paint will be done by a pro if it fits in the budget. Color is still to be decided. It will not be the original Korall red but something else. Taiga is spinning in my head, I would also like to see examples of turkis.

On the tech side there's not that much to do. Engine is ok and it will stay as it is with Schrick 292, tii pistons, Megasquirt. Gearbox is the later e21 five speed. At some point I will try to fit the e30 lsd unit I have into the 02 diff, not first priority. There's no e21 or -02 lsd's available here or they are crazy expensive. Brakes will be updated to e21 rear drums and Volvo setup front. For suspension I have Bilstein sports and some cut springs that may be replaced with some lowering springs. Anyone have any comments about Ireland stage II sprigs? Sports are a bit harsh and I'm thinking about having them re-valved. I will use stock 2002 stabilizer at rear and maybe something a bit stiffer at front. 1502 does not have roll bars at all originally.

Interior will be all reworked. It's started already from the Recaros. I have good blue door panels that will be painted black and Only 02 gray carpet set already bought. Headliner is hopefully good enough to be installed again and the best condition dash will be selected from my own parts.

So lets see how it goes :-) I really hope I can keep the time schedule and cope with budget.

I'll attach a picture here to see what we are talking about if you're too busy to go to the homepage ;-) This is almost what the car looks like now. You only have to imagine paint fade and rust bubbles of about 10 years. :-)

post-218-13667593564152_thumb.jpg

I'm using Vinyl. Reason is that I had no idea if we are going succeed making any result so I bought vinyl for 29Eur/m instead of real leather 89Eur/meter.

I don't know anything about sewing machines but it is somewhere in the better end of machines for hobby user. Maybe even used by some pros. It has to be powerful enough to go through at least 3 layers of vinyl and accept thick enough thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I love that custom front grill, can I get some more pics?

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

Thanks guys. I was once happy the way it looked but now I'd appreciate originality more. Also the picture is few years old. I don't have many more shots because it was time before digital cameras.

That is, I think my third attempt of custom grille. It's smoked plexiglass and some tubing between them. Tubes are flattened at the ends and bolted on the plexi. It's also found illegal in inspection (plexi in front of lights) and written in registration so I can't use it. The front will be changed back to original once I get the project started. BMW needs its' kidneys ;-)

Tommy

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress with the Recaros. It's even more time consuming what I expected but my mom is doing good work!

I found out that other shop would do this kind of job for around 1000Eur + material. There is a lot work so that price is reasonable. Still I'm happy we can do it by ourselves.

post-218-13667595297037_thumb.jpg

post-218-1366759529824_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667595299376_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667595300412_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667595301429_thumb.jpg

Surprisingly the seat and back pillow parts have been the most difficult! The "leather" parts came out quite easily using the original parts as template. I have to say my mother is doing all the hard work which is sewing and fine tuning the parts to fit.

Open attitude and persistency to learn by try and error - you can do it.

I found a place to store the racer and brought the project in.

I started taking it apart and tried the wheels I got recently. They are BBS RA 15x6" ET 35 from VW, with 195/50/15 tires. They fit straight on but I think some spacers will be used even without the flares. Not sure if I will use 205 tire. Wheels will need paint and polish.

Couple of weeks ago I bought a sport steering wheel, not in greatest condition.

post-218-1366759560729_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667595608369_thumb.jpg

post-218-1366759560956_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667595610693_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667595611746_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Recaros are done! Rear seat still to do. Funny how everything that I though would be difficult came out really well. The easy parts took most of the work.

Body shell is now empty and mounted on grill or rotisserie. New sheetmetal worth of 1kEur is coming from Wallothnesch.

Next I should get the body cleaned but the prices for ultrasonic pressurewash have gone skyhigh. Thinking about soda blasting. Yes, they use baking soda to blast metal, I didn't know that. Experience anyone?

post-218-13667596447973_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667596449036_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667596449908_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667596451036_thumb.jpg

post-218-1366759645203_thumb.jpg

I think soda would be too mild. I just used sand and took my time and it came out firn with no warping what so ever. I think you only really run into trouble with a very powerful compressor. I stopped and checked the temps by with my hand and it was not getting hot at all. Sand is cheap too!

• 2 weeks later...

I opened the rockers and found what was expected. One thing that never stops amazing me is the quality of aftermarket sheetmetal parts! Why do they make these? I've already OEM front parts but I don't know what I'm doing with the rear part.

I took the body to the high pressure wash. It took twice as long as estimated so it cost...

That machine shoots water at maximum pressure of 3000 bar and at an ultrasonic speed. Still it's only using 18 liters per minute - like a garden hose. It's powerful but still there was a lot of work.

post-218-13667597245131_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667597246167_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667597247259_thumb.jpg

post-218-13667597248245_thumb.jpg