• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trailing arm bushings

aveale

family,

can someone do a play by play of removing the trailing arm bushings and replacing them?

or if there is a thread someone can direct me towards....

i seached through the old posts and could find nothing.

cheers,

t

1973 914 2.0

1974 2002 tii

Guest Anonymous

Use a propane torch to heat the hollow metal rod in the center of the bushing. The rubber around the rod will soften and you can pull the rod out with some vice grips. Once the pressure on the bushing caused by the rod is off, you can just pull out the rubber part of the bushing. Works great.

Fred in MD

Guest Anonymous

For installation of new bushings, slide in (or gently pound in with a wood block) the bushing minus the hollow rod, then lightly grease the rod and press it into the bushing. This works with Poly bushings, I forget if stock bushings have the rod bonded to the bushing. If it is bonded, you will want to use some silicone or grease on the bushing and press it into the trailing arm with a pipe clamp or a big vise. Or you could rig up something with a big bolt and correctly sized socket to draw it in, a home-made press of sorts.

Fred

Hey Aveale,

Off topic but I am just outside of Ottawa in Merrickville. Redoing a 73 tii. Don't mean to hijack your thread but it's always nice to find someone close.

chris

Can these be done without removing the trailing arms entirely?

Thanx for the quick responses family!

that thread on the suspension rehab was amazing.....show what can be done.....or more like how it should be done....

t

1973 914 2.0

1974 2002 tii

I just did this without removing the trailing arms. I swapped all rear bushings by removing the nuts on the subframe bushings and rear differential carrier and lowering the subframe and trailing arms just enough to access the bushings. It'd definitely be easier to do if you remove the subframe but I didn't want to disconnect the drive shaft. I used a 12" piece of 3/8" all thread and some appropriately sized washers with an impact driver to drive the old bushings out. I used a 1-1/4" socket as my spacer and they came out quick and clean. I replaced all bushings with urethane ones, which install easily.

• 3 years later...

Hi, I am about to do the same thing but I am having a hard time visualizing how the rear of the car is supported while dropping the rear sub-frame to access the trailing arms to swap out the bushings. Any insight is greatly appreciated. Do you just unbolt the differential and subframe bushings and then lower while the rear of the car is just sitting on the ground by the rear tires? Or do you support the rear of the car with jack-stands somewhere?

Many Thanks from the visually and conceptually impaired...Cort Chambers

I placed a 4x4 by whatever under the car in front of the subframe. Jacked it from the middle of the 4x4 then placed jack stands near the end of the 4x4 but not too close to the ends of the 4x4. Kinda near the edge of the body.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

disconnecting the driveshaft is about two minutes with a 16mm wrench. four nuts. done.

and if you are dropping the subframe, change the subframe bushings while in there.

and since you have to disconnect the diff from the chassis to drop subframe, change the diff support bushings too.

just do them all while you have it apart.

don't use torch on ta bushings with them in the car. too near fuel lines. just make a $5 tool to pull them out.

1323613643931.jpg

2xM3

Here's part of a video I'm putting together of a rear subframe rebush.

• Like 1

-Nathan
'76 2002 in Malaga (110k Original, 2nd Owner, sat for 20 years and now a toy)
'86 Chevy K20 (6.2 Turbo Diesel build) & '46 Chevy 2 Ton Dump Truck
'74 Suzuki TS185, '68 BSA A65 Lightning (garage find), '74 BMW R90S US Spec #2

• 1 month later...
Here's part of a video I'm putting together of a rear subframe rebush.

I said it over on YouTube, and wanted to say it here - great video - helped me tons. I dropped the subframe tonight to do bushings all around - and the torch thing worked for me. I needed a good full minute of heating to get them out, but they came right out... saved me a ton of time. Now to get the new bushings in... think I ruined my all thread on my control arms...

anyway - thanks again for taking the time to shoot a video - great help.

Matt

• Like 1

I needed a car, and a hobby....

Nor'East '02ers-

www.bmw2002.us

Betty VIN 4229155

The original colour was Malaga, paint code 021

SiteNamecopy.jpg