• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Diff update, fluid question - AGAIN, I know...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Fords "additive friction modifier" says it works to quiet hypoid gear noise in the rear end. It's $4.39 at your local dealership and if you use 2 oz of it it is supposed to increase the lockup from 25 to 44%. Any more and I believe it still keeps the 25% but just acts to quiet it. Ford Part # C8AZ-19BS46-A. Give it a whirl. I will this weekend and see how it does.

Kris

Guest Anonymous

After a week of trying LSD, it's like really cool, the wall is melting dude!...The rear end tucks in nicely now, and I already feel much more confident, esp in the wet. Plus 1st gear is actually usable, the original 4.10 in my 1600 was no match for the 2.0litre. But no big tailslides anymore, well not yet.

One question: it came from a high mileage car (218k) and whines almost as much as the one it replaced, no biggie but I was gonna try a thicker fluid in an effort to quiet it down, (worked for my tranny) - I used 80w-90 Mobil and Kendall LSD additive, and was gonna up to 140w - should I try Redline or Swepco Synthetic? - am I wasting my time?

Guest Anonymous

I'll try some Redline w/ C8AZ-19BS46, assuming I can find a Ford dealership around here. I don't think I've ever been to one, it's gonna be sweet.

Actually, I've heard good things about the new Focus SVT: 170hp + 6spd + $18k MSRP = Civic Si killer...

Guest Anonymous

The master builder of bmw LSDs told me, "Never use synthetics in the LSD, stuff is just to darn slippery for the clutch plates. Stick with hypoid oil."