WBeaumont

Dumped Oil Everywhere!!!

8 posts / 1187 viewsLast Reply

Went for the inaugural start earlier and just as it started (for those few seconds it sounded glorious, why would anyone chose not to have twin carbs?) then oil went everywhere!

The seal to the oil filter had been pushed out and oil hit the front pulley and fan causing it to go flying.

Me and Dad put it down to the seal not located properly when we installed it. We thought what a rookie mistake popped it back on and tried again (obviously after we had topped up the oil we lost).

Second attempt and the same thing happened. Oil pressure release valve. It must be, we had spent a while putting it together and we used two separate workshop manuals to assemble it. Neither of which seemed to have the same oil pump as we had but assumed we had put it together correctly because we had used our common sense. Oh dear, it was fraught with danger from the beginning.

Does any one have a diagram of actually how to put assemble the pressure release valve. I seem to have a spring, plunger/rod and a hollow cylinder with one end blocked off and a chamfer on the corner. It is going on a '73 2 litre engine.

Also can you remove the sump with the engine still in?

Thanks.

Awww, nuts-

I have had several engines that had sticky regulators, with predictably

messy endings like yours.

RealOEM is your friend-

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=2552&mospid=47140&btnr=11_2582&hg=11&fg=30

The real thing to keep in mind is that pressure's coming down that little

dip tube and pushing aginst the plunger. You can actually test it

(carefully, so as not to scar the bore) when you pre- assemble it on the bench.

Honestly, for the $150, I'd replace the pump whenever I went in there-

it's cheap insurance, and the new pump is a more developed part...

hth,

t

post-611-13667592087718_thumb.png

MAKE SURE THE PISTON IS NOT STICKING, BURRED

AND AS STATED ABOVE -DO NOT REUSE OLD OIL PUMP.

you may remove the pump with the motor in the car

you need to hand rotate the crankshaft a little so the pan clears

when pulling the pan forword, and the motor needs to be disconnected from the mounts so you can kack it up away from the subframe.

Trmobe the distributor cap and rotor because you will break it when raising

the motor - and be carefull not to damage the fan or coolent hoses

use a MANN or BMW oil filter

M10oilpumpparts02.jpg

I replaced the pump so i am working with a new pump.

There may be a chance that i put it together correctly but it is still jamming? How would i test it? just push it?

I think i am going to get the engine out, if i have to take it off its mounts then it might as well come out. It will give me a chance to clean up all this oil.

Thank you so much.

I think you're on the right track with the relief valve issue, but.....Anybody remember that debacle with the interchangeability of S14 M3 oil filters and 2002 filters? Never figured out if it was a) a myth or B) resolved by the manufacture of a filter with press release mechanism of some kind.

At one time rumor had it, that an S14 E30 M3 filter would fail as yours did if installed on a 2002, but that 2002 filters could be used on M3s without incident. Nearly identical filters externally as I remember.

CD - got any dealership info on this?

Paul Wegweiser

Check the orientation of the tube downstream of the relief valve (pc 10 on CD's drawing) If the long end is not pointing down it will limit the travel of the relief valve preventing it from dumping oil back to the sump. Result is blown out oil filter gaskets. Ask me how I know. Fix is to drop the oil pan, and front timong cover. remove oil pump flip the tube, long side down and reinstall. It can be done without pulling the engine

I think you're on the right track with the relief valve issue, but.....Anybody remember that debacle with the interchangeability of S14 M3 oil filters and 2002 filters? Never figured out if it was a) a myth or B) resolved by the manufacture of a filter with press release mechanism of some kind.

At one time rumor had it, that an S14 E30 M3 filter would fail as yours did if installed on a 2002, but that 2002 filters could be used on M3s without incident. Nearly identical filters externally as I remember.

CD - got any dealership info on this?

Paul Wegweiser

there are 2 filters for the s14. a cold weather version that has a thicker metal body and maybe internal differences as well but i dont know. i have both versions in my hand right now and the cold weather version is 1/2 again as heavy. this is the one you should use for high pressure use

11 42 1 278 059.

I took the engine out, flipped it over and took off the sump to find that i had indeed put the plunger/rod thing in the wrong way. Panic over.

I have just got the engine back in, what an absolute bastard! I cant believe how hard it is, when i put it in the first time i lowered the body onto the engine, gearbox and subframe all mated together already. That way may have been a bit excessive to just re-assemble the pressure release valve.

I will hopefully start it again tomorrow. That will be the real test! Then i will update the project blog.

Thanks. You guys have been a great help.