Sign in to follow this  
citizenchan

Car died in a hard turn. Fuel supply problem? Help pls??

11 posts / 1374 viewsLast Reply

stock 318i m10b18

Today, I was turning hard in a wide left turn through a light, and felt the engine lose power right after the apex of the turn. I was going roughly 35 - 40 mph. The car then died, and will not start.

Now that it's dead:

I can turn the engine over and it tries to start as though everything is normal, but it won't kick in/start, or try to bite.

Pressing the pedal seems to help a little bit - it alters the *sound* of the turning, but does not help it start any more.

I do not know if it has spark, but the wires are all connected on the coil, dizzy, etc.

I cannot smell any strong fuel smell, neither burnt nor unburnt.

The other day, I had the same issue with the car losing power in a turn, but it didn't die, and has driven 4 times since then. Today, I took the turn pretty hard, had the same issue, but this time it died and is not starting

My fuel pump usually makes an audible whirring noise when the car power is on, but not started. After the incident, it makes no noise.

My diagnosis is a lose connection somewhere in the fuel pump electrical supply. The fuel pump itself is connected, though, so I am thinking the disconect is at the fuel pump relay, or somewhere between.

Any thoughts? Anyone had this issue before? I could be way off about the fuel.

Go after the fuel system first,

but if you break an engine mount, the engine can break its distributor

cap on the body- might be worth a quick check to rule it out.

hth

t

Distro looks good.

I thought maybe it was a fuse, but all the fuses are intact and all the lights work. All the dash guages power on.

I don't hear a thing from the fuel pump. So, now I am looking at tracing the wires from the ignition all the way to the pump I think. Sheesh, what a headache.

Is there any trick I can use?

If you're running original ignition - do a quick visual check of the wire that attaches to the condenser (small 1" long .5" dia cylinder thingy held to distributor like a barnacle) on the side of the distributor. It comes directly from the firewall harness, and has a nasty habit of getting loose / tugged off. It's a simple female spade connector, easy to repair w. solder iron and std parts. Bad motor mounts will put this poor wire through the ringer! Make sure the condenser itself hasn't gotten loose also - gently(!) snug up the micro flat head screw if needed.

DUH! Just re-read your post and saw it's not a carbed stock type 2002 motor. Sorry Mate! Ignore the above.

Sometimes I'm real dumb, see?

HTH

Paul Wegweiser

Check the fuel pump relay. Check for spark. Then check fuel pressure and volume. Also make sure that the connector to the engine temperature switch is on securely. If that connector comes loose, the engine will not run.

cause the fuel pump not to work on an E30....I've been told to always carry a spare relay just for this reason--they can fail without warning

mike

PO set the pump up on an inline fuse and relay. All connections seem tight.

I am getting power to the fuel pump it looks like. Put my multimeter on 20 - Vdc and got 12.x. I'm a novice with electricity, being shocked a couple times doesn't make me an expert heh. So, this means that on a source up to 20 volts, I was getting 12 volts correct?

So, does it sound like a failing/whirring fuel pump would finally die right when the car was in a tight turn? That seems odd to me - why would the turn make the difference? I can see how inertia caused the fuel to move and possibly add or reduce the stress on the pump, but would that cause it to just go caput like that? I imagine it would still pump, just not strong enough.

I did have the issue once before, exact same thing with the car losing gas, except when I straightened out I got power back - that was just Monday, and I drove the car four times since, to have it die and stay dead yesterday.

What are your thoughts. Thanks for your help.

proper power, so either the pump has died, or its inlet is blocked by crud. In either event, you'll have to pull the pump to check.

E30 pumps (in my experience) are usually quiet until they're ready to fail, then they get noisy. Yours may have been stressed while cornering with a low fuel level, so it was sucking air and not getting cooled (in tank pumps are cooled by the fuel they are in), and it finally turned up its toes and died.

You're gonna have to bench test the pump and see if it works...

mike