ClayW

Has anyone *bypassed* `76 emmision controls in California?

7 posts / 1226 viewsLast Reply

I realize that some might be reluctant to admit it here, but for those who realize their relative anonymity; Has anyone faked their way through the visual emissions test in California?

My dad used to slap all that crap back on his `70 VW Beetle when he went to go get it inspected in the late 1980s.

Realizing that we can now tune our cars properly and easily pass a tailpipe sniff-test with flying colors, I wonder if anyone's kept all the canisters, valves, pumps and lines under their hood in a non-working-but-visually-presentable condition.

Anyone?

i'm pretty sure that if you do not have an emission diagram under the hood, they would have no way of knowing/verifying what is supposed to be there anyway. This only applies on older cars (like ours) of course.

So I'm wondering, since a lot of these smog techs are younger than our cars, what would they be basing a visual inspection on? Does Weber = no pass? Is there a picture book on what a visual is supposed to look like?

the computer comes back with all the equipment to look for. EGR, charcoal canister, thermostatically controlled air cleaner, vacuum advance distributor, ignition timing settings, air pump etc.

I know people who have gutted their air pump and plugged the hoses. The purpose is to reduce the drag on the pump. You could just remove the belt. Charcoal canisters do not cause any performance loss and should be kept. EGR systems can be plugged too but some techs will actually inspect the EGR valve for proper operation by applying vacuum and checking for diaphram movement.

Basically, 76s are a pain in California.

But you could apply for historic plates. I think (but am not sure) they are smog exempt.

Here in Arizona Historic Vehicles are exempt...you must carry collector car insurance however to qualify.

Collector car insurance in cali is hard to get if you plan to drive the car much. The max is something like 3000 miles a year or something, you also need to get the car looked at or appraised or something, and have it pass some sort of rudimentary verification that it is in "Historic condition.