Guest Anonymous

ALPINA 2002 came home yesterday.....

8 posts / 1635 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

Yesterday I retrieved my car from Hamlin Fabrication in Sonoma (originally delivered there in mid February) - we had taken it as far as we could (and as far as I could afford -whoa!) for the time being. It was pretty cool seeing it there with a new nose on, hood, doors, deck lid and of course the rear quarters and rear panel. I was in a hurry so I didn't have a lot of time to "eyeball" it until last night - I have to say the car is pretty damn cool if I do say so myself even in its now semi pathetic state. Roger spent nearly 8 hours aligning the front and rear suspensio (rake/ride height, camber, toe), adjusting the rear end was apparently a real PIA and very time consuming (unfortunately). All this needed to be done so as I move forward with the fenders that the tires/wheels are in the right spot. We were lucky to have the picutures from ALPINA to zero in on the rake and ride height - at least one or two of the pictures shows the car going in a straight line and not being cranked through a turn (or airborn at the Nurburgring). The thing is just an absoulte beast sitting there on its 15" wheels. Will post up a pic or two later today.

Guest Anonymous

324663183.jpg

324663175.jpg

324663180.jpg

That is a Malaga hood that has been painted (poorly) Atlantic. So lets see. The car was originally Granada Red, has a Golf Drivers door, a Sahara passenger door, dash support is (was) Inka, rear panel is (was) Inka, rear quarters are Siennabraun, deck lid appears to be Amazon painted over Colorado....I count 9 - not bad.

wow that thing looks cool mark. whats the next step???

Guest Anonymous

Really I hate all the different colors on the car. I am thinking I might start with some paint removal - starting at the back with the quarters and deck lid. Because the alignment changed so much from where the car was when I made the RF fender mold, its garbage now. There are some good things and bad about that fender so before I hassle with stripping the foam and resin off of it I will probably work on the LF fender. I will probably use 4lb foam in lieu of the Tap Plastics 2lb which is really soft - 4lb is much better for shaping and retaining the shape. I can use the RF as a reference for what I DONT WANT TO DO. I had shaped that fender before ALPINA sent me a whole slew of photo's that showed both front and back much more clearly. One of Roger Hamlin's expert friends has already seen the car, so the plan is for me to do the grunt work and shape the fenders as close as I can, then turn them over to him and let him do the finish work, molds and then the parts - I have to tell you I cant wait for that day to see the body work back on the car. I do need to take some time off from "subcontracted work" as it was brutally expensive to have done what I did. Over 115 hours was put in, I love having it back and its going to be really special but sheeeeeeeeeeit. I married a good gal, most would look at what I have and what was put into it and say what the F**K? I ll update again in a few months and contact you separately OL, I need a few small items.

tx

Looking great Mark,

Yeah must be costing a small fortune- but it will be worth it. Not that you will ever sell it but just imagine what it will be worth in say 15 years. One of a kind! Really great to follow your progress.

Pete

great effort Mark! it's a treat to watch this museum worthy piece emerge from the ashes.

Nice.

One question though. Now knowing the rarity of that "one of one" by Alpina, do you have any support from either BMW NA or Alpina Germany? And when I mean support, I don't mean a tap on the back and a few pictures. I am talking about technical help, logistical support and financial resources.

Lee

Guest Anonymous
Nice.

One question though. Now knowing the rarity of that "one of one" by Alpina, do you have any support from either BMW NA or Alpina Germany? And when I mean support, I don't mean a tap on the back and a few pictures. I am talking about technical help, logistical support and financial resources.

Lee

Lee, I didn't even get a tap on the back. I was very fortunate to initially hook-up with one of their export guys who really went to bat for me. Apparently their are still two or three technicians (affectionately referred to as the old timers) who actually constructed the car. These were the same folks who reviews all the digital images that I sent them along with vin and what not and ultimately confirmed the authenticity of the car. Since then I have bounced numerous sketches and what not off them - mainly in an effort to understand the mounting of the oil coolers, plumbing and rear moutned radiator. At this point it is unlikely that I will be mounting the radiator back in the rear (and the "old timers" advised against it) apparently it created lots of trouble for them. My contact subsequently left ALPINA so I have a new one now. They are as helpful as they can be, but with only two or three folks left that worked on it it takes a while to get info back from them. As someone pointed out to me I am very lucky to have all the photographic documentation that i do. I have more on my car than any other Gruppe 2 BMW 2002 or for that fact probably any Gruppe 2 car period. You have to understand as well that they (Old Timers) basically were assigned to build the car with their skill and knowledge and in 1973/4 they werent using CADD to create parts or detail drawings and if they did have them they do not anymore or I would have them. I can buy OE BMW parts back through them at a discount, I can actually get them from BLUNT for less given the Euro / Dollar deal and less hassle having them go to ALPINA and back to me. Very (VERY) few factory parts actually go into the car so it is sort of moot. As far as financial input....I wish.....not happening. Is my deal to do on my own. Fortunately I am have the financial resources to bring it back albeit over time.