ought2

trunk shot request

11 posts / 2296 viewsLast Reply

I'm in the process of cleaning, painting and generally sprucing up my trunk. I'm hoping to see a good clear photo of a clean, well-restored trunk (beneath the panels). I'm not a fanatic about originality - but looking for a clean, functional look. TIA

Wow that is clean! did you strip that down and repaint? real nice job you can be proud when you open that baby up. What about the matts are they original?

Those are helpful shots. Did you restore the trunk yourself? I'm on the fence about POR 15. I'll probably use it as I bought it and it ain't cheap! Fortunately, my issues aren't with existing rust. I've got my hands full removing all of the black goo a PO laid down. It covered everything - panels, wires, fasteners, etc. Thanks for your post.

If you don't have any serious rust issues, why deal with POR15? You can achieve better results by just scuffing the existing paint with one of those sandpaper-like pads and some solvent and then smoothing it out with some 400 grit paper. Hit any bare spots with an aerosol etching primer and then just shoot some paint over that. One coat sprayed up/down and then back and forth, wait about 15 minutes, and then spray a final coat. I just did this to my engine bay using PPG single stage paint, hardener and reducer using a small finish gun and a standard compressor. The gun only holds maybe 8 oz and they are cheap and do a good job. Here are some before and after pics.

post-9115-13667592099808_thumb.jpg

post-9115-13667592100772_thumb.jpg

post-9115-13667592101541_thumb.jpg

post-9115-13667592102591_thumb.jpg

I have some bare metal with minor rust pitting. This is the only area I had considered using POR. Seeing as this is a trunk, what's your take on using rattle can self-etching primer followed by a color coat of the same? NAPA mixed up a can based on my color code.

I think it will work just fine but it will take quite a few cans to get it on thick enough. For my engine bay I bought a quart of paint and used just about a pint plus reducer and hardener in 2/1/1 mix. If I can do it then anyone can do it themselves as well. Hope this helps.

post-9115-13667592111532_thumb.jpg

not my car but i love it....

2002trunkliner.jpg

2002trunkliner.jpg

How in the hell....???

2002trunkliner.jpg

WOW thats a really nice job.

Talked to my boss in the upholstery shop about achieving this look. Shouldn't be too difficult if you're handy. It would require some upholstery panels (heavy duty card panels as used for door panels) to create forms with fewer angles and crevices. The carpeting is a special flexible type used for this type of application. Here's a link for a supplier we use. I like the look of this but have worked so hard to recreate the floor panels, upholster the side panels, clean and polish everything in sight that I hate to cover things up... not to mention the wonderful trunk mat I bought from Delia!

http://www.miamicorp.com/Default.aspx?page=category%20search%20results&CatList=91&Parent=26601&tree=26588*Carpet+and+Flooring*[email protected]@26593*Automotive+Carpet*[email protected]@26601*Superflex+Carpet*[email protected]@