johnnysquare

Has anyone experienced structural rocker failure?

5 posts / 1057 viewsLast Reply

Tonight I poked a ratchet handle through inner and outer rockers without effort. Just behind the door on the passenger side. Driver side isn't any better.

I've talked with some who have had shock towers go into the trunk while driving and it didn't sound too dramatic. I'm wondering if I should get this driver off the road immediately or paint a "53" on the hood and have Buddy Hackett ride in the back seat.

jb

I hate that.

CD will say park it.

He's probably not wrong, but my car's falling in half too,

(when you can hear the headliner creak when you go over bumps,

trust me, it's starting to get weak)

I drive the piss out of it and love it.

Technically, if the floorboards are intact and the tunnel is too, you're OK.

It may twist up, but it won't fall in half.

t

you can remove carpet and seats, locate the fore and aft extent of the inner rocker rust (the inner rocker is the structural member; the outer rocker is for appearance and to protect the inner one) and weld in some angle iron to reinforce the rusted area. That will make it structurally safe so you won't have to worry about chassis twisting/flexing.

Rust is a way of life in the midwest--if you want a nice pretty 2002, get an unrusted one, don't drive it in the salt and use your current one for a winter car until it dies...road salt will surely kill an '02, even if it's rust-proofed.

mike

It depends on what you want out of it. One of the finest 02's I had was the one I made from all the shitty parts while I built the one I drive now. I beat the tar out of it and the 02 is just one of those cars that when they are too precious you miss out on a load of fun. As Mike said driving one on a salted road make it rust- but on the other had driving it in the snow is a freakin blast. If its that bad and your not up for rebuilding the shell with new panels I say hack it and use it for a beater. I an always surprised just how long a beater can go with regular maintenance.

This car ('76) is already well into the "beater" phase of its existence-- like peteinjp the idea is to have this one as a driver/cadaver while I get my solid '72 on the road. The deterioration has been faster than expected. I have been questioning whether or not I'm being foolish driving it around town, and if it even makes sense to put time into the '76 rust bucket. Mike, I think the "inside" angles might be the trick if there is sufficient surface to weld to. Or perhaps to turn them outwards and make running boards/skid plates. I could make a sweet spoiler and Zender-like cow-catcher, too.

jb