• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oh no. Not another M2 project.

Lee

Get to work Lee!! My S14 comes next week and I'm going to eventually need those Megasquirt files. :-)

Don't count on me for the files. They won't be available before Spring. You should ask RS4Pro on s14.net

Lee

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Todays weather was sunny and dry, but temps started below freezing point... and stayed there all day. Except that the sun almost made it feel comfortable.

Today, I put the flywheel, clutch, exhaust, waterpump, alternator, throttle bodies and modifird oil pan.

Enjoy.

Visit the album for more pictures

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v668/Lee_Vuong/2002%20folder/?albumview=grid

DSCF0045.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Hi Tom

Was it about bracket replacements? If so, I replied a week or two ago.

Lee

Hi Lee,

Yes thats the one. I havnt seen anything come through - sorry. I have had some issues with bouncing emails in the past. Can you re-email me please? cmorriso (at) bigpond (dot) net (dot) au

Cheers,

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

Sunday afternoon. All tools are back in the basement and the hood is pinned. That was a good day, even though it started pretty ugly. The obvious freezing temp, but also some... snow. Not much, but enough to upset.

So, Saturday was spent assembling the parts aoround the long block and starting to thik about how to install the motor in a backyard. Sunday morning, I am all pumped up despite the snow. First ting to do is to remove the subframe from the car by unbolting the stering rods, the lower balljoints and the 6 subframe bolts. No big deal. Then I lift the engine from the stand, and lower it down on the subframe. First unforseen problem. The S14 oil pan, despite having been reshaped to clear the subframe, won't clear the Suspension Technique swaybar. So the swaybar is removed and the engine lowered on the subframe and bolted. I use the yellow poly mounts from Ireland and suspect they slightly lowered the motor. Therefore the lower oil pan has paper thin clearance with the subframe at the front. So I raised it at the mount. One thing I will have to fix when I make the new engine brackets.

The engine assembly (with tranny) is layed down on a piece of plywood, with two wheel dollies under the plywood. I calculate how high I must raise the front of the car to have enough clearance to slide the motor from the front. Not emough to be safe, so I will raise the front of the car so that it has enough clearance without the dollies. But as everything is iced, it will slide.

Front of car is raised from the front, and the jackstands are set-up. Looks like the car is going to fly. Once the car is secured. The hoist is removed, the engine is slid under the car, and the car is lowered back at normal working height. From the side, I raised the motor and lifted it into place. As the assembly was pretty wide thanks to the headers and the steering box, I decided to unbolt the steering box. Easier than the sixteen copper bolts at te header. I used two rods to align the dovel pin, with the help of the jack.

Overall there are a few glitches that I need to solve. First, the non-fiting swaybar. Then the passenger side idle arm is hitting on the header. Both situations can be fixed if I move the engine back. It will probably be by 1.5" and while I do some noew engine brackets, I will raise the engine by about 1/8"

This is the first time that I install an S14 and I was extremely curious to see how much room there was, so that I can move the engine back for added balance and overall, I have no disapointment yet.

Enjoy the pictures. The young guy in the picture is my 15 year old son who was patient helping me. Also enjoy my cats.

Albums

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v668/Lee_Vuong/2002%20folder/

It started like that around 10 AM

DSCF0047.jpg

And ended like that at 1:30PM

DSCF0059.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the coolant pipe. It has been shortened and will use the S14 thermostat. It will be a clean instal with no twisted hoses. A bung has also been welded for a spare engine temp gauge.

The welds will be groud down so that they don't show anymore.

Coolant_Pipe_1.jpg

Coolant_pipe_2.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Maybe I didnt catch it but why did you shorten the coolant pipe?

And you didnt mention it but what are you going to do about the oilpan to driver's side frame rail interference? Rotate the motor a bit to the passenger side with your new mounts maybe?

Coolant pipe.

I will not be using the overflow coolant tank and will use e21 rad. Therefore I can easily modify the cooling system for a cleaner install. By cutting the coolant tube, I can use a straight hose from the waterpump to the S14 thermostat, then up in almost straight line to the "moved" pipe.

The oil pan has been altered to avoid contact with the frame rail. I will need to adjust the driverside mount. The custom brackets are allowing to tune the engine's height. On the driverside, it is possible to bolt the oiriginal "Z" shaped bracket on the adapter, or use the (supllied) mount, and weld it at desired height. The custom brackets will allow a lot of custom modification to the engine location. I will post pictures of the new mounts on Friday. There are only 3 sets available.

Pictures related to the coolant tube

DSCF0107.jpg

DSCF0106.jpg

DSCF0105.jpg

DSCF0104.jpg

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.

Lee, please document how much coolant pipe you removed, hose sizes (part numbers if possible) and mount specs (since there will be some flexibility on how they are welded up).

This data will be useful for others using your S14 mounts and hoping to replicate your setup. :-)

Lee, please document how much coolant pipe you removed, hose sizes (part numbers if possible) and mount specs (since there will be some flexibility on how they are welded up).

This data will be useful for others using your S14 mounts and hoping to replicate your setup. :-)

I am afraid that posting pictures is as far as I can go. I will let people use them as reference for everyone to develop their own interpretation.

Massivescript_specs.jpg

Brake harder. Go faster.