Sign in to follow this  
Jared

tii problems

8 posts / 1561 viewsLast Reply

I think I am having some kind of fuel pump problems. I am not sure if it is the electric pump at the tank or the fuel injection k-pump.

It would start and run okay for about 15-20 seconds, then it would try dieing. Sometimes I could keep it going by completely depressing the gas peddle. It would then rough run for a few seconds, then start running smooth again. If it died I could usually re-start it quickly by pressing the gas all the way again, but then it would do the same thing.

Has anyone run into a problem like this before? It seems like a lack of gas somehow, but I am not sure from where. Before the incident today I hadn't had any issues with it at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Check out www.my2002tii.com for Keith Kreeger's fuel pump experience(s).

Full voltage to fuel pump?

Clogged pickup screen inside the tank?

or the tiny mesh filter just before the pump?

or the fuel filter on radiator support?

or the mesh filter at the K-F pump inlet?

or the pressure relieve valve on the back of the K-F pump?

I have an E30 that has a quirky problem slightly similar to this after it sits for 15-20 minutes only (no longer...no shorter). I'm convinced it's injectors weeping fuel into the cylinders, and full throttle opens up the intake enough for extra air to mix with the excess fuel that's pooled. I'll fix it when it starts to thin out my opil too much or happens daily. Until then...I'm too cheap/lazy to replace all 6 injectors. So...what I'm saying is: make sure your cold start valve isn't sticking ON and adding too much fuel as well as worrying about fuel starvation. Does it behave this way after it's fully warmed up as well? If it smooths out warm - time to learn about warm up regulators and adjust accordingly! I'm a DCOE guy (yeah yeah...FI is elegant and efficient yadda yadda) , but there are several of tii dudes (and dude-ettes) that can help you through it on line here.

Paul Wegweiser

post-2748-13667592072179_thumb.jpg

Clogged pickup screen inside the tank?

or the tiny mesh filter just before the pump?

or the fuel filter on radiator support?

or the mesh filter at the K-F pump inlet?

Try all basics before you start with the more complicated items such as the KF.

The suddeness of the issue makes me think that it's the fuel filter. When was the last time you changed it??

I changed the fuel filter on the radiator not too long ago, probably less than 500 miles on it.

The problem was really repetitive and consistent. It would do the 20 second run fine, then run crappy for a few seconds. I could almost put a timer to the cycle. It also came on all of a sudden.

I will try those suggestions.

Thank you,

Jared

have you checked the fuel pump?

When my fuel pump went out it, it the output of the pump decreased significantly but the pump continued to run. The car would run fine for a while, then it would bog down and almost die (due to insufficient gas) and then pick back up. It was an intermintent thing. I can remember the specifics for the PSI/BAR that the pump is supposed to deliver.

In the meantime I had gone through the entire fuel system, cleaned the fuel pick up, each of the inline mesh filters and drained/refilled the gas tank.

Have you eliminated an ingition issue??

that sounds exactly like the problem. I will check that out.