Sign in to follow this  

shipping a car

6 posts / 1099 viewsLast Reply

Texas to the black hills of SD as in South Dakota

DAS other ideas experiences?

Delk

I am also looking into this now. DAS seems to be the cheapest, with savings from drop off locations instead of door to door. Fedex seemed to be very expensive.

I agree that the Fed-Ex / Passport pricing is high. There are a huge amount of these companies, especially since the increase in the popular auctions. I searched the internet and also looked at Hemmings Motor News.

I shipped my car in January 2007 from MA to VA using Blue Star Auto Transport with good results. They, just like most of the others, broker the services to a trucking firm or private hauler.

The transport fee is kind of tricky. You will get a total price, but you must allocate how much the driver will get upon delivery. The balance goes to the broker you are getting the price from. For instance, if the total price is $ 500.00 and you tell the broker you only want to pay $ 200.00 upon arrival, then $ 300.00 will go to the broker. The truck driver will only get $ 200.00 for hauling your car!

The higher your "arrival" fee, the better chances of your car getting picked up by multiple drivers (basically searching for cars to haul).

"Short hauls" are not attractive to car haulers - they like the long distance runs so they don't have to re-arrange the cars (if using a multi-car trailer). I got lucky and a nice fellow from VA hauled my car on a dual-wheel trailer towed behind a full-size Dodge van.

Another caution: You must specify a range of pickup and drop-off dates. Even if your car isn't picked up during that period, your "contract" will expire and you must contact the broker to re-arrange for pickup. This happened to me because I didn't know (and the company didn't tell me up front).

Other words of advice:

Have the seller take as many photos as possible before and during the pickup.

Make sure all loose items are secured to/inside the car.

Only leave the ignition/door key with the driver.

Leave 1/8 or less gas in the tank.

Have any important items (title, manuals, touchup paint, etc) shipped separately.

Good luck with your car transport (hope I didn't scare anyone away).

Guest Anonymous

Try "Nationwide". We use them all the time with no problems.