Guest Anonymous

Steering box blues?

6 posts / 1346 viewsLast Reply

Guest Anonymous

I recently purchased a used steering box via the net. The box pictured was clean the box delivered was authentically dirty. The seller "guaranteed" that it came off of a low mileage vehicle and that the movement was "smooth as a knife through butter".

The first thing I noticed was that the input or output shaft is very "notchy" close to the centering area. The adjustment screw is backed out with 4 0r 5 threads exposed above the locking nut. The box is empty (no lube) and this may be part of the problem. Yet even without fluid, the box internals should move smoothly, correct?

I already have a box (in the car) that is beyond adjustment, leaky and clunks. The recently acquired box may be only a slight improvement. I do not want to personally rebuild a box when the seller advertised it as like-new. Should I keep the box? Will the "notchiness" disappear with the addition of lube?

One last thing, can anyone confirm the sellers other comment, that a steering box from a non-power steering E3 is a direct bolt on to the 02? I may be able to obtain one as a stop gap, but do not want to waste my time in shipping if this is merely a fantasy.

Thanks in advance.

Have you contacted the seller for an explanation? Seems to me from what you described, the unit you bought isn't the one that was pictured. If it turns out you got scammed, I'd like to know who to avoid.

Guest Anonymous

I am awaiting an explanation but if the box is half-way serviceable, I will take my lumps since I always need another interesting door stop. I originally was looking for a few VW parts. The seller claimed he was just cleaning out his VW parts when he found this box so it is doubtful you will encounter him.

E3 box is not the same

fill your 'new' box with SAE 90 HYPOID gear oil,

and then feel the gears. Also stand the box up in

the same position as mounted in the car - on your

bench to check for leakage before you install it.

Leave it standing for a day or more.

with the red filler cap removed - you can look inside

with a light and see if it looks cruddy inside.

try flushing it clean with BrakeKleen and ATF oil

if it's still crunchy - return it for a refund - simple

What seller won't give a cash refund for a part that

does not work. You of course pay for postage both ways.

You say that anyone who sells on our site here is suppose to be honest and honorable well I have to ask what about, FOR SALE: 2002 Parts , Brandon from western Massachusetts I bought and paid for some struts for my 1967, 1600 I told him that the inner bearing was 2mm smaller then most of them so to make sure and he assured me he had what I needed. He sent me the wrong ones and now he won't answer e-mail, phone and just ignores me. So much for honest people. Sorry for the long message.

Jose

Guest Anonymous
You say that anyone who sells on our site here is suppose to be honest and honorable

Generally the long time regular folks here (2002FAQ) are very decent people. Problem becomes when you get the newer yahoo who watches this board and then goes on eBay and tries to offload his old crap after buying the better stuff from the good folks here.

There is no cheap way to do it right!

Stop enabling the bozo's by buying their crap.

And crush the ones that should be crushed or part them out. Oh wait that is how this mess all started.