TSAF

CUSTOM A/C UNIT

10 posts / 2094 viewsLast Reply

Hey my name is Tsafogiannis Dimitrios..... My 2002 was bought new from my family back in the 70's from the BMW dealership here in Athens/GREECE. The car is accident free and has been maintained regardless the cost with original parts only. Back then my father did not order the car with Air condition but as a genuine motor-head he placed a 5 speed dogleg tranny, wilder camshaft, LSD and a customized cylinder head from Alpina. Now days here in Greece the heat is unbelievable. I found out from some friends that 2002's that were for the States had A/C units on them but those BEHR units are not very trustworthy. After a little research on the net I have contacted Keith Kreeger from the TII register and has advised me that the BEHR unit is very expensive and not strong enough. He suggested a company called Vintage Air. I called them but they are asking a lot of technical questions which unfortunately I am unable to answer. I explained to Mr Kreeger how things are and he told me that he knows a couple of owners that have install this system to their cars and they are very pleased. If it is possible I would like to find these people in order to copy their order. PLEASE HELP ME OUT. TODAY WE HAVE 42 DEGREES CELCIOUS AND ON WEDNESDAY IT WILL GO UP TO 44.

Thanks in Advance

Tsafogiannis N. Dimitrios

post-2394-13667592055917_thumb.jpg

I took my car to a local shop and here's what they installed:

Diesel Kiki compressor (you can also use a Sanden 504) with an adaptor plate to mate it to the York compressor plate.

12" parallel flow condenser.

universal drier and expansion valve

aftermarket 12" electric fan

Frigiking blower/evaporator unit

When the car was done I was very happy with the A/C's performance. However, due to its age, the Frigiking evaporator sprung a leak and the system discharged itself. I am planning to change it to a new unit, and have thought about using either the Short Pack or Mini Slim Line systems shown in the Vintage Air catalog.

Please remember that you will need to get the three-groove crank pulley from a 2002 with a/c (IIRC someone mentioned that one from the euro E12 4 cyl. 520 will also fit).

BTW, nice car! Any more pics?

Thanks a lot for your reply. The point is that the people that have done the installation to their cars know exactly what parts we should order from vintage air.

about any differences between the USA model cars that they are used to dealing with and your Euro-spec 2002. What kind of questions are they are asking? Post and we'll try and answer 'em for you.

Just so you'll be warned ahead of time...A/C in 2002s is not the same as what's in newer cars, and is kinda marginal at best--especially when driving around town. It's better than no A/C at all, but will not perform as well as what's in newer cars.

Also, in hot climates like you have in Greece, you may need a larger capacity radiator to dissapate the extra heat from the A/C condenser. Here in the States there's a 3 row core that fits in the stock radiator housing (top/bottom tanks, sides) that provides plenty of cooling to handle the A/C. I suspect a good radiator shop in Greece could come up with something similar.

cheers--and very nice looking car, BTW--what's the color?

mike

PS--I think you're our first post from Greece.

Hey!

"Just so you'll be warned ahead of time...A/C in 2002s is not the same as what's in newer cars, and is kinda marginal at best--especially when driving around town. It's better than no A/C at all, but will not perform as well as what's in newer cars".

If everything is new, it should work perfectly. As far as my radiator is concerned, the radiator is custom alloy fixed and I do not have any problems with overheating or anything like that.

I've been driving my ' 75 2002A in Southern Arizona for the past 27 years with Behr A/C (Sanden compressor) and we have summer temps ranging from 40º-43ºC during the day in the summer. With only the driver in the car, and both vents pointed his way, the car is always comfy; with a passenger getting one of the vents, and the driver the other it is OK; but, with 4 people in the car it never gets real comfy. This doesn't answer your technical questions, but gives you some parameters of what to expect. What also helps here is that when our temps are the highest the humidity runs from about 5% to 10%, probably considerably lower that what you experence in Greece ("They say Arizona has a dry heat, but that's what they say about Hell also".)

Bob Napier

aftermarket company that specializes in "retrofitting" air conditioning mainly to older US cars and hot rods. Pretty much all the street rod guys I've talked to that use their systems are happy with them, but keep in mind that they're NOT going to have a "bolt-in" system specificly designed for the 2002 - it's going to take some fabrication and custom work.

A neighbor who's building an S14 powered 75 is planning to use one of their heat-defrost-air units to completely replace the heater box in his car - we've already taken measurements, and found that one of their "Gen II Compac" units will fit in between the steering column and glove box, and will fit almost completely behind the dash.

You may want to get on their web site and download the PDF file of their catalog - there's a LOT of good info in it on how to size and set up an a/c system......

I would like to thank you all for your replies. I was thinking last night that If I use the old Behr system in my car and retrofit all the rest from vintage air I believe that I will have very good results. I was thinking of using the Behr console since it looks nice in the car, the Behr evaporator and all the mechanical parts from Vintage air (compressor,condenser + auxiliary fan + receiver drier). In that way the A/c will be strong and efficient at all times and will look great as well. Waiting for your comments guys.

I would like to thank you all for your replies. I was thinking last night that If I use the old Behr system in my car and retrofit all the rest from vintage air I believe that I will have very good results. I was thinking of using the Behr console since it looks nice in the car, the Behr evaporator and all the mechanical parts from Vintage air (compressor,condenser + auxiliary fan + receiver drier). In that way the A/c will be strong and efficient at all times and will look great as well. Waiting for your comments guys.

Yassou Tsafogiannis,

I think that sounds like a great idea if Vintage Air can update the internals of the Behr console - you have such a lovely original car you need an original AC unit to complement the other period accessories. Anything else would spoil such a special car.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Nick

(BTW - great colour combo)

Thanks a lot Nick. Anyway just to let u know. My name is Dimitrios. My surname is Tsafogiannis. I have the original Behr A/C spare parts list + instruction manuals in a PDF file. I will sent them to the vintage air people and discuss with them the possibility to combine the 2 "worlds". The classic appearance of the console with the modern technology of the moving mechanical parts.