finkbuilt

31 MPG on 1734 mi drive

5 posts / 1081 viewsLast Reply

So, I have never really figured out what kind of gas mileage that I am getting since converting to megasquirt, until now.

I just got back from my longest drive since the engine rebuild/EFI conversion, 1,734 miles - from Seattle to Salt Lake City and back. One of the reasons that I have never figured it out is because I had no idea how far off my odometer was. I have a 5 speed, 3:9 diff, 76 speedo etc... I knew that the speedo was off, but I didnt know by how much. Well, while on the drive, I was able to use the Speedometer check markers on I-84 in Idaho to figure out the error factor, which turned out to be 10%. I also kept track of my fuel.

So, It turns out that even with the 292 cam, and 9.5:1 pistons, and despite really good performance, I was able to average 31MPG on the trip (almost all highway of course). Not bad.

I was watching the EGO gauge and it was not pegged at stochiometric the whole way, it was more often around 12.5-13.5 while cruising, so there is probably even room for improvement (not that I am worried).

The car did really well on the trip. The weather was hot as hell the whole way, but the temp never got high, and there were no mechanical issues to speak of (electric radiator fan rattled itself loose, and I had to pull over an tighten some screws). It was a fantastic drive! It was more like a motorcycle ride, or a trip in a convertible since I had to have the windows down the whole way, due to the weather. Thank god for wing windows!

Now to calculate the around town mileage.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lodefink/2643036473/in/photostream/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lodefink/2643031637/

That's so cool.

I forget, are you using EDIS ignition too?

John

That's so cool.

I forget, are you using EDIS ignition too?

John

Yeah, EDIS. Best performance upgrade ever.

While under cruise conditions you can run 16 to 1 AF, I have mine set this way. As long as it's not under load it's no problem. I have the 3.64 GR with a 5 speed with the turbo and get 35 freeway if I can keep from playing with others.

You guys are making me sick - with joy! Damn I can't wait...I'm on my way to the same type of set up Fink. I bought the EDIS awhile back and Kerman shipped my motor complete with 292 and 9.5, etc. Now I have to raise a bit of capital for the Megasquirt. The only downside is that the car will not see the road for driving until probably late Fall, maybe longer. I have the new house and second kid. I've read it and now know, the more money I make the bigger my bills. But I do envy most all on this site; surely it helps me stay connected, keep positive, and live the dream baby!! Peace.