Sign in to follow this  
Claypole

Steep learning curve.

5 posts / 1035 viewsLast Reply

Think I'm institutionalised from 18 years of only VW's coming to BMW's. Lol.

Posted a couple of pics in the project blog too.

I'm a bad person but I never even checked under the hood of the 2nd Tii I bought until today... something I couldn't quite figure out until I went and checked with my parts Tii... some knob has chucked the engine out and put what I think is a standard one in it's place at some point.

Everything seems ok to poke about with but the spark plug leads - pain in the arse... how the heck do you push them on, floppy rubber with no metal part to keep them rigid so you can push them on? Tried the two sets of leads from each car, new plugs, old plugs. Can't even fit them to the plugs properly without a lot of effort when the plugs are out of the engine.

Guest Anonymous

Let me guess.

Most popular plugs e.g., Bosch, have a small threaded "knob" on the top of each plug. If you leave the knob screwed on the plug, the plug lead connector "typically" found with Bosch/Beru wires will NOT fit. So you must remove the knobs from the plugs.

US, Japanese and a few other marques typically use the larger connectors that need the screwed "knob." VW, not unlike BMW and Audi, originally equipped their vehicles with the style connector that works without the threaded knob attached to the top of the plugs. If you or someone else changed the plug connectors, you will have to find the adapters for the plugs or change the plug lead connectors.

HTH

Took the caps off as a matter of course, lol, then had to go find them but they still wont' fit properly to my mind with or without them. The rubber is far too narrow/long to push on when it's flopping about, must be my technique. :-)

Just for a test I cut off all the rubber to about 1/2 inch from the metal of the connector and it was still a struggle to fit.

Guest Anonymous

The fact that you mention "rubber" boots tells me that the wires/connectors are aftermarket. BMW started with Bakelite or bakelite-type insulators. In other words, the original boots are hard and not soft or too tight "rubber." This is not to say aftermarket plug boots cannot work, but maybe you found a tea kettle that just won't boil. Is it possible your plug connectors are designed for the smaller "peanut" size plugs?

Sorry I can't be of more assistance. You could always try posting a picture.

Hmmm, that makes more sense. I had to pull a bit of that stuff from inside one of the plug holes that had been broken off in the past I assume.

I've looked on a couple of sites but they look to be the "rubber" type as well even some performance ones.

If anyone can suggest a site to buy the correct ones to save my fingers I'd appreciate it?