Kel

What 5 speed is on an 85' euro 323?(for m20 swap)

5 posts / 1154 viewsLast Reply

I am trying to find a transmission for my m20 swap and have read that the e21 cars have a different trans (265 vs 260) than the e30 cars. I have been trying to find out when BMW stopped using the 265 Getrag, and it seems it might be 86' according to a parts website when I tried to find a case for my 320i 5 speed to make it fit my m20 motor. Does anyone know for sure? What else from this car could be used? Thanks, Kel in Seattle

E21 323 uses the same 245 5 speed as E21 4 cylinders but with a different front case because the bolt pattern on M10s and M20s is different.

Getrag 260s and 265s are mostly big six/M30 transmissions, although the 265s were also used on E30 M3s and 82 528e's. The 265s have separate bellhousings and either have speedo drives or can be converted. Both 260s and 265s are larger than 245s and you will have to enlarge the transmission tunnel to put one in a 2002.

I think the 85 323 must use a Getrag 240 which was also used by M10-engined E30s and which as far as I know, has no speedo cable drive.

Kel -

Go here & here to learn more about the trans and swap info:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,50/page,viewtopic/t,274773/

http://www.bmw2002.co.uk/pdfs/6%20into%202%20Goes.pdf

You need an E21 323i Euro model trans. I believe '82 was the last year for this model, but don't quote me on that. Just saw one on ebay - sold for ~ $500.

I'm doing the swap myself and have a spreadsheet that contains all of the items that I've had to purchase. Let me know if you would like a copy...

Good luck,

Chris

Thanks, I would like to see our list. I would like to have a big pile of parts before I start so I dont lose momentum waiting for something

I believe I meant to say Getrag 245 in my post. I went to two parts websites and they showed the same transmission for the euro e21 cars and e30 cars until 1986 as having the same transmission. There was a 1985 euro 323 nearby last week that I was hoping to use the transmission from.

The E30 transmissions will fit, but they won't have a speedometer cable drive. All the E30s have electric speedometers which get a signal from a pickup in the differential, which won't fit a 2002 without a lot of work.