shelby4130

Rebuild Question

5 posts / 1101 viewsLast Reply

I just picked up my first 02 a couple days ago and drove 8 hours home without a single problem. Impressive. However, mine has fallen victim to poor valve guides and gives a lovely puff of smoke to whoever is behind me. I need to fix this. So here is my question. I would love to rebuild the entire motor, but simply dont have the money to go nuts. If I do a complete rebuild, can anyone give me suggestions on what should be replaced or focused on to keep costs down? I know this is ridiculous as its never a cheap process, but I have to work within my means. The only aftermarket internals that I had wanted to put in would be a 292 cam. Id love larger piston with some upped compression but that bends the budget a little. So, which parts should I collect and replace first? Also, where can I obtain new valve guide seals? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Since you will be installing a new camshaft, replacing the rocker shafts, rockers, and possibly valve springs would be prudent. The ~120k motor I inspected had considerable wear on the rockers and shafts.

Adding the rocker locks might not be a bad idea either.

Pop in and see Terry, he'll have all your answers.

1606, Fortview Rd,

South Austin, TX 78704

www.terrysaytherauto.com/

EVERYONE tells me to see Terry. I have, he works on my other car. I am just scared sometimes to see them. I understand they know what theyre doing, but I cant always afford their primo rates. Last time I payed 300 bucks for a battery. Partly my fault but shit. Anyway, keep em coming.

Can I rebuild just the top half of the motor? New head gasket, valve guides, cam, rockers and shafts? My motor seems strong other than the burning oil situation. If I am totally wrong then just please let me know, I am still very new to this motor.

Thanks again.

Michael

To make sure you're not creating more problems down the pike (perhaps sooner than later), do a compression test, and better still, a leakdown test. A wet & dry compression test will tell you (approximately) the condition of your rings, and a leakdown test will tell you more about both rings and valves. Lotsa archive material on both.

What you don't want to do is put a nice, fresh tight head on a tired set of rings...then instead of a puff of smoke on deceleration (worn valve guides) you'll get more smoke on acceleration, 'cause now the rings are the weak point in the compression system. You'll also burn more oil via the now weak rings than you did thru the valve guides.

The above happened to me when I had to do some head work at 157k. Engine is still going strong at 218k, but uses a quart of oil every 400 or so miles. Still, oil's cheaper than engines...so that might be a consideration too...just live with the smoke puff 'till you can do a proper top and bottom rebuild...

cheers

mike

PS--you can buy a Group 26R battery for your '02 from Wal-Mart for under $50...