Sign in to follow this  
Jack

Hey, CD...

8 posts / 1371 viewsLast Reply

Well, I pulled the top of the 32/36 and epoxied the brass orifice. Amazing how something so small can have such a positive impact on the drive. Thanks, again!

Guest Anonymous

Please, exactly what did this modification accomplish?

tia

your welcome Jack - good to see you smile !

could you please produce a photo for the team

so they can see better than this drawing the

gas-puking hole ?

I'm WeberLess at the moment you know.

WEBERprescriptionplughole31a.jpg

By eliminating a coarse, non-controlled fuel source it cleans up the fuel delivery and gives me more confidence in the jets I have installed. I'm not sure I'm done with jetting, but now I will be better able to identify the effectiveness of the changes I make. As well, throttle response is all together more crisp. I have to think it will improve my mileage which is running around 21mpg hwy.

I did not "remove" the top of the carb. I unscrewed it and lifted/tilted it. The little cotter pin on the choke arm isn't going to take any more removals and I don't, at this time, have a spare. By lifting it I could get into the area with some JB Weld and plug the brass tube which inserts into the lower carb body...making sure to clean the glue off the outside of the orifice. A word of caution. Don't do this until just before bed time. Then you won't be tempted to drive before the epoxy sets up.

A questions though, is the orifice I plugged connected to the little brass tube which protrudes into the choke butterfly area? If so, could this not be done without removing the carb top?

I've made no secret of how "carb shallenged" I am. I look at something like this and can only think the Weber engineers decided to put his "feature" into their product on April 1st and then they sit round and chuckle about it over a couple beers. Kinda like my wifes Mini. You can see the engineers sitting around going "what else can we do"? One of them said, "we could make it so you have to pull the door handle twice to get the door to open." They all reply, "good idea!" No one bothers to say, "Why?"

CD, I'm photo challenged too. send me a pm to [email protected] and I'll send you a pic which you can post.

....you have to pull the inside door handle twice because you have

car/key memory Auto Locking your car on take off.

First pull to unlock, then second pull to open. Normal - even on

the BMW cousins

If you don't like it - have the Technician re program Car/Key

memory setting NOT to Auto Lock at the next oil change.

CD - feel free to add this photo to your tuning faq article.

post-4170-13667592036961_thumb.jpg

Guest Anonymous
Is the orifice I plugged connected to the little brass tube which protrudes into the choke butterfly area? If so, could this not be done without removing the carb top?

My eyes tell me that you should be correct that you ought to be able to accomplish the same blocking from the top of the carb, negating any need to remove the top of the carb.

I am confused by how you determined that fuel is now more accurately metered by this modification. This is NOT a criticism but just my curiosity. If your findings are accurate, it makes little sense for Weber to continues manufacturing carburettors with the tube you plugged. Why do you think they have not eliminated the passage? Did you try reducing the size of the orifice rather than eliminating it? CD says: plug the calibrated orifice. By definition, when something is calibrated it IS measured. By contrast, uncalibrated would suggest unmetered fuel flow and not "coarse." (Maybe this is just a poor choice of words.)

Frankly, your fuel economy numbers are meaningless unless you established a before baseline number. What is the quantifiable improvement? I suppose fuel economy would also improve if you also eliminated the accelerator pump (driveability would no doubt suffer too). Same argument might apply to disconnecting the secondary. LOL

I am glad this modification works for you. On paper/screen it just raises more questions than answers for me.

Good luck!