future_assassin

Found some rusty nasties

4 posts / 924 viewsLast Reply

Well I was gonna start removing the rust from the interior/floor of the car and found these nasies.

So first question, will the shock tower need to be replaced whole or will I get away with just cutting out and patching the cancer parts? Looks like the metal around the tower is ok for about 3" around it.

right_01.jpg

Now the left side is interesting as I think the OP said the OP before him did the shock tower but there is a shit load of some seam sealer around that area and I can't get screw driver all the way in.

left_01.jpg

Also on the inside I found this also

left_02.jpg

Can that part just be patched after the cancer is removed and is it a structural part of the car?

Also what gauge of metal should I use?

I've never welded before but will a MIG wire feed welder with out gas work for this situation/metal gauge? I won't have enough cash to buy the full gas set up but I might be able to borrow a MIG set up from my boss if I can convince his anal about his tools ass to lend it to me.

Arek,

I think it would probably be best if you can find replacement shock towers, unless you don't mind fabricating the pieces yourself.

My '76 mintgrun has similar shock tower rust, but not as bad, and I plan on doing them sometime this summer. I may weld in patches, as long as I can fabricate them so they don't look like a cheap patch. I may also weld in new shock towers if I can find a replacement.

I also plan on fabricating a similar strut brace to this:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,307083/highlight,shock+tower/

Anyways, if you decide what to do, let me know and I may be able to give you a hand. I'm no welding expert, but I have a mig welder.

-Andrew

Arek,

I think it would probably be best if you can find replacement shock towers, unless you don't mind fabricating the pieces yourself.

My '76 mintgrun has similar shock tower rust, but not as bad, and I plan on doing them sometime this summer. I may weld in patches, as long as I can fabricate them so they don't look like a cheap patch. I may also weld in new shock towers if I can find a replacement.

I also plan on fabricating a similar strut brace to this:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,307083/highlight,shock+tower/

Anyways, if you decide what to do, let me know and I may be able to give you a hand. I'm no welding expert, but I have a mig welder.

-Andrew

I don't mind it looking like a patch as long as the rust is gone and the shooting shock through my roof feeling while I'm crashing the car into a ditch is gone :)

Well definatelly would appreciate any help with the welding/welder as beer is cheaper then buying my own welder :) If you need gas I could probably get it cheap through Airgas as my work has an account with them. Would have to check on the pricing first.

I also was also looking at this welder but can't fins much info on it http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/tls/743279810.html

That welder is a good price. If you know you'll continue to use the welder after you're done the shock towers, then it is a good investment.

If you just need the shock towers done, I would say don't bother buying it.

I used a miller just like that all through high school shop class, and they're awesome. A lot easier to use than my own welder, and worth the money. A quality welder is worth investing in if you will use it. I only wish I purchased a better one earlier on.

-Andrew