Sign in to follow this  
TobyB

Subject: Anybody know the spring rates of ST springs?

4 posts / 894 viewsLast Reply

Grover in El Cerrito, CA

Subject: Anybody know the spring rates of ST springs?

I have the grey ST springs on my rear suspension and am trying to find out the spring rates. Their web site doesn't list it and they've not returned my emails requesting info. Any input would be appreciated. TIA.

Date: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:11 pm

Subject: Re: Anybody know the spring rates of ST springs?

Supposedly 160 for the Front, 132 for the Back.

But it would be nice if Toby checked them, as I too would like to get a definite answer

Well, this doesn't help much, and I'll double- check it today, but...

I got roughly #150 lbs/ in for the fronts, and 175 for the rears.

Now, this is an old Longacre hydraulic tester, so it's not particularly accurate,

especially with springs this soft. It likes the #1000 lb and up stock car springs.

Softer fronts? I dunno. That's the stock way, so I'll look again today.

huh.

Toby

do a search, or page back a day or three - it was just asked........ - sorry -

or how about contacting ST ?? and getting the info direct ?

Thanks Toby for following up, I really appreciate it. CD, Toby was just being generous and confirming first-hand the spring rates since ST had not responded to my requests for information over the past month. Just another FAQer going above and beyond. Peace brothers. Grover.

[i got roughly #150 lbs/ in for the fronts, and 175 for the rears.

ST did their work to come up with a 2002 spring set almost FORTY YEARS ago, and naturally they used a very early 2002 to calculate what rates would work.

The car they used weighed less than most all the cars BMW produced in greater numbers for the rest of the production run, but ST never updated their product to match. So perhaps only if you have a very early non-sunroof, non A/C lightweight car can you experience what ST intended with their set.

A long time ago, I was able to get some info from ST (although it was clear they were very reluctant to reveal anything, and they told me it was to prevent anyone from copying their stuff..)

F 140 / R 160

Note that the ST rear is actually SOFTER than the rear springs BMW used to build my regular-production USA 1976 cars.

Dinan did a lot better job engineering springs for 2002, they actually offered different rates depending on year, model & content.

Check this old post on Roadflea for more detail on how ST developed rates:

http://bimmer.roadfly.com/bmw/forums/2002/135634-1.html