Royal Purple Max Gear oil in 4sp trasnmission? Why not?

6 posts / 1046 viewsLast Reply

Did a little research on past postings and saw a few claiming this gear oil is unsafe to use in the 4spd tranny. It supposedly contains anti corrosive additives, but also includes hypoid additives. Why can this particular pil not be used safely in the 4spd? Should be fine in the diff right?

Anything other than Red Line MTL , it's pretty thin.

I've got a toasted 2nd synchro and double clutching works ok going up, but it will take more perfection going down.

Guest Anonymous
Why can this particular pil not be used safely in the 4spd? Should be fine in the diff right?

Anything other than Red Line MTL , it's pretty thin.

Since you have done your research, and remain unconvinced that GL-5 Hypoid gear lubes are not good for your transmission, why should anyone expect another post is going to change your mind now? There's an abundance of good information out there already, starting with the BMW 2002 Owner's Manual.

You can use that gear lube and probably not notice the ill effect over the short term (few years won't show.) But that gear oil will shorten the life of bronze synchros by 50%.

If MTL is too light use the MT90 Red Line (MT = Manual Trans.) The trans does not benifit from anything heavier than that.

Ok thanks. I just was curious since it contains "anti corrosive" additives.

and save lots of money - don't bother with synthetics,

just use plain old ATF - Plenty of anti- corrosives,

non-foaming, and purfect for chilly climate & all year use.

Hell - flush it a few times after a few miles and while down here,

flush the clutch fluid (with brakes also of course)

and you may find the need to double-clutch lessened.

As stated many times before, and fact - DO NOT USE ANY

" HYPOID " GL-5 lubricants in your gear box.

" hypoid " gear lubes belong in the diff and steering gear.

74tii-Not looking to open a can of worms, but just put Royal Purple 75-90 in my tranny and diff. I've used RP in the past and it's always done good. I was like you and decided to call them due to the gears in the tranny.

They have great support staff and a couple guys that are very knowledgeable and race older cars with gears the same as ours.

Had a BMW 330CI where I used the RP Gear oil in differental and used the syncromax in the tranny.

Here I'm using the 75-90 in tanny and diff.. Call and ask them. As the bottle states, the Gear oil is not harmful to the gears.

Also talked with Royal Purple. Synchromax is fine to use in the 4spd tranny. This oil will not corrode the synchronizers.