jgerock

tii engine condition question

27 posts / 2745 viewsLast Reply

While tearing apart the intake side of my engine to replace the plastic fuel lines, I took some pictures of the inside of the intake plenum and throttle body. A PO rebuilt the engine at about 141K (I think in 2002). The car just turned 150K last weekend. Among other thinks it has new bearings, seals, oil pump, timing chain and piston rings.

Is the build-up inside my plenum and throttle body considered "normal"? The intake valves are really clean, but the ports have some black residue.

There isn't any smoke on start-up, nor on heavy accel. or decel.

Compression on all four cylinders good. Power is OK, but not stellar. I use premium fuel and Castrol 20W-50 oil. New coil, distributor, plugs, plug wires all replaced by me. I also cleaned the injectors and fuel screens.

post-8235-13667591991037_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667591991856_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667591992693_thumb.jpg

post-8235-1366759199342_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667591994251_thumb.jpg

My 2002 is carbed, but I just replaced the head last week and the intake manifold and intake ports were very clean. It looks to me like something is leaking. I am not familiar with the tii engine, but does the PCV vent into the intake plenum? If so, you might do some research and see about routing it into the atmosphere rather than your intake.

Quick response! Tii engine doesn't use a PCV (check valve). The valve cover port goes to the air cleaner housing and small vacuum port on throttle body. The inside of this hose (at the air cleaner) is wet with oil, so there may be another issue.

Jim,

Its hard to tell because we dont know how clean it was before but it looks totally normal for a tii. The blow-by from the valve cover enters the intake air stream unfiltered and deposits itself inside the throttle body and the intake manifold and it normally looks just like yours.

KC

While tearing apart the intake side of my engine to replace the plastic fuel lines, I took some pictures of the inside of the intake plenum and throttle body. A PO rebuilt the engine at about 141K (I think in 2002). The car just turned 150K last weekend. Among other thinks it has new bearings, seals, oil pump, timing chain and piston rings.

Is the build-up inside my plenum and throttle body considered "normal"? The intake valves are really clean, but the ports have some black residue.

There isn't any smoke on start-up, nor on heavy accel. or decel.

Compression on all four cylinders good. Power is OK, but not stellar. I use premium fuel and Castrol 20W-50 oil. New coil, distributor, plugs, plug wires all replaced by me. I also cleaned the injectors and fuel screens.

What are the compression numbers?

When an engine "rebuild" is done too many times owners presume that since the pump/injectors were working before they are ok afterwards.

To do it properly the engine needs a rebuilt warm-up regulator, rebuilt pump and rebuilt injectors. Add to that a rebuilt or new distributor. Then and only then will the Tii be running as it was designed.

The pictures show an intake that is consistent with a high mileage engine that is running or has run run rich. It is by no means normal to have that kind of build up.

normal intake sludge -but you can toss

the parts in a DISH WASHER for a good

effortless cleaning.

DO NOT USE ANY SAND/MEDIA BLASTING

FORM OF CLEANING !!!

boshe66c02uc.jpg

Compression test just performed today:

Conditions: Engine cold, no intake (so WOT), all plugs removed, # 11 fuse removed, coil wire removed.

I did it twice to confirm my readings:

# 1: 150 psi / 151 psi

# 2: 156 / 156

# 3: 170 / 169

# 4: 174 / 172

See spark plug pics. # 4 looks wet, but all do not "smell". These plugs were installed approx. 1,000 miles ago (8 months).

post-8235-13667592020053_thumb.jpg

post-8235-13667592020832_thumb.jpg

Cd: Regarding the cleaning of intake parts. So you don't recommend that I (plastic) bead blast the intake plenum and runners? I know that shot blasting will imbed metal particles into soft aluminum, causing the metal to be released when the part is heated (like the cylinder head).

I've thought about using my dishwasher, but have heard bad things from other posters on the resultant smells. So far, I've soaked and scrubbed my runners in car wash soap and used carb cleaner and a rag on the plenum.

Jim,

I use coal slag or aluminum oxide before I powder coat most aluminum items. The only blast media that could cause a problem is glass bead. Glass bead is fine as long as the pressure is kept down and you clean the part thoroughly when you are done.

I'd welcome you to come up to Bel Air and use my blast cabinet but unless you could shoot up tomorrow I will be gone until next weekend. I figure you are jones'n to get back behind the wheel of the tii....

KC

Jim, I was kidding about the dish washer! - not blast cleaning.

It's a on going joke on this board if you've spent any time reading.

Unless you have a BOSCH dish washer !? All depends on what flavor you like on your china. Your dinner guest might not return for seconds.

I don't care what kind of blasting media is used.

It's still crud getting into the motor and possibly

getting lodged in rings, embedded, or other unexceptible behavior.

Your method is fine, plugs and compression excellent,

button it back up and drive.

Read about tii injection linkage adjustments,

ignition timing, and find some of that lost power

your looking for.

KC: Thanks for the blast cabinet offer. May take you up on that later - have to travel for work almost every week. Do you do your own powder coating? If not, can you recommend a local company?

c.d.: It's hard to tell when someone is kidding. I really thought about throwing my parts into the dishwasher, but only after I tried to get most of the fuel smell from them.

As mentioned earlier, I already have installed a new Bosch "blue" coil and 008 distributor. My best performance results so far were from cleaning the injectors.

Jim,

I do my own powder coating and can also recommend someone more local to you... At least maybe... He is down in Fredricksburg. I will have to dig around for his card but he does some of the best work I've seen in the area.

You are always welcome to come on up.

KC

Thanks KC. There's another company closer to me (Extreme Powdercoating) in Springfield/Newington but I don't have any experience with them nor their pricing. I sent them an e-mail inquiring about coating some of my tii parts, but no reply.

I wonder why my compression figures vary so much from # 1 to # 4. Is this common?

Compression test just performed today:

Conditions: Engine cold, no intake (so WOT), all plugs removed, # 11 fuse removed, coil wire removed.

I did it twice to confirm my readings:

# 1: 150 psi / 151 psi

# 2: 156 / 156

# 3: 170 / 169

# 4: 174 / 172

See spark plug pics. # 4 looks wet, but all do not "smell". These plugs were installed approx. 1,000 miles ago (8 months).

Compression and leak down should be done with a warm engine for the most accurate results. From the readings it looks like there is a potential weak head gasket between #'s 1 and 2. Thus the low and different numbers. Hopefully the head was surfaced and a proper Tii head gasket was used during the rebuild. If not then it would be prudent to get this done now before it does let loose and cause an overheating condition which would very likely crack the head.