omarcenaro

Rear reflective inside Brake Lights project

9 posts / 1666 viewsLast Reply

As I was looking for some parts I came across some product I had used to fix a mirror on another car I had. The stuff is called "20/20 Rearview Mirror". Its like a flexable mirror that comes with double sided mounting tape. You cut it to size and stick it in place.

Thought this could be used to upgrade the reflective inside of our rear lights. I did not have very much of it so I used what I had to see if it would work. I did part of the brake light and one part of the driving light.

Check out the pics and see what you think.

post-2554-13667591965783_thumb.jpg

post-2554-13667591969548_thumb.jpg

post-2554-13667591974882_thumb.jpg

post-2554-13667591980302_thumb.jpg

I've seen it in Walmart and it is sold as rear view mirror repair tape

I just checked. I bought it at O'Reilly Auto Parts and it cost $6.99 for a 7"x10" sheet.

Some of y'all with that great attention to detail can probably make a template and cut out some perfect pieces.

I will pick up some more on Saturday and see how it works on my lights. The reflective power of a mirror is greater then any chrome/silver paint I have used so far.

post-2554-13667591986205_thumb.jpg

So I made a template of the Brake light compartment. Then I noticed that each of the other compartment, reverse and driving light are progressively smaller. To complicate matters, the top part is smaller then it bottom.

Here is a pic of the mirror cut outs. It’s a pic of the backside of the mirror cut outs.

As for the sides of the compartment; this stuff is too stiff to bend and stick so the sides need to be done like a mosaic.

I will post a new topic to show the results after I cut the parts for the other side.

post-2554-13667592024367_thumb.jpg

I couldnt find a spray paint that was reflective enough either. I visited the art store and bought a 'silver leafing' kit. It took about a week for putting the sizing on and layering over the spots that I missed but the reflective coating is pretty durable and the finsihed products looks great.

Important is masking off the parts of the lamp holder that you don't want to cover with reflective 'leaf'. Do this at the beginning with masking tape or pvc vinyl tape. Then coat with the 'sizing' in isolated sections, let dry, and layer on the 'leaf.' When it dries you can brush away the excess with a dry cloth and vacuum the fragments out.

The finished product is very bright. I had to buy those amber coated bulbs to reduce the light from the turn signals! No solvents involved because the 'sizing,' is a water thinned adhesive.

Great idea Peter. I will try to find the silver leaf stuff at my art store. Does it come in a kit?

Omar: I have the box here. The box reads "Old World Art - Leafing Kit," It is made by APPLIED PRODUCTS in Santa Fe. http://www.appliedproducts.com. i got the SILVER LEAFING KIT #832. It has 'sizing' the water-based adhesive and a top coat which I did not apply and a pack of silver leaf. You may have to purchase another pac of 'leaf' if you want extra thickness.

Since the silver 'leaf' is really thin you have to develop a technique of lifting 1" squares (cut it with a sharp knife) with a thin but broad brush and layering it. It requires a bit of practice but once you get it a smooth layer of silver coat is on the lamp holders. I actually put an extra layer on in the hope of increasing the life of the silver coating. Good Luck